You won't believe it! Muskrat Hunting with Brocc the Mink.

11 hours ago, Minkenry said:

LOL Mink are totally illegal to keep in France, and yet there are more pet mink in France than any other country I'm aware of! They take their mink out in public, and go to a regular vet, and everything. They just tell everyone that it's a ferret, and no one questions it. I think if you got an albino mink, it would be especially difficult for anyone to tell. I had an albino mink for a while, and I once had some chap from the UK get online and argue with me for quite sometime, claiming that the animal in my video was really a white ferret, and I was just trying to get attention claiming it was a mink! LOL This is the video he was commenting on........

yeh its tail different  to a ferret, longer and thicker , but maybe because of its colour  (white)  it could have ferret in  it genes, in other words  they  crossed  the mink to a ferret to get that colour, as mink in natural colour are dark, black,brown  , dark red , but never white .? 

On 2/17/2018 at 03:33, bird said:

yeh its tail different  to a ferret, longer and thicker , but maybe because of its colour  (white)  it could have ferret in  it genes, in other words  they  crossed  the mink to a ferret to get that colour, as mink in natural colour are dark, black,brown  , dark red , but never white .? 

It's just an albino mink. Almost all animals have the potential to be albino. American mink aren't capable of producing offspring with any other member of the weasel family. Also, domestic ranch mink come in just about any color you can imagine. White, black, red, grey, yellow, spotted, stripes down their backs, grizzled colors, all kinds of stuff! 

On 2/17/2018 at 18:03, robertb123 said:

Always enjoy your  videos, have you tried your dog on jackrabbits or anything similar? Would like to see that, cheers

Yes, she's caught a few jack rabbits (our local hare species) and cottontail rabbits both. Unfortunately our local rabbit and hare populations both crashed the very next season after getting my dog. The year she was a pup there were jackrabbits and cottontails EVERYWHERE, and now that she is old enough to run them they are few and far between. So all the close spots have close to no rabbits, making it so I have to drive for about an hour to get to anywhere with a decent number of rabbits to run, and even in the "good spots" the numbers aren't near as good as they used to be. So now I've got this running dog who catches mostly rats and raccoons and rarely gets to run a rabbit, let along catch one! LOL

Edited by Minkenry
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Minkenry said:

Yes, she's caught a few jack rabbits (our local hare species) and cottontail rabbits both. Unfortunately our local rabbit and hare populations both crashed the very next season after getting my dog. The year she was a pup there were jackrabbits and cottontails EVERYWHERE, and now that she is old enough to run them they are few and far between. So all the close spots have close to no rabbits, making it so I have to drive for about an hour to get to anywhere with a decent number of rabbits to run, and even in the "good spots" the numbers aren't near as good as they used to be. So now I've got this running dog who catches mostly rats and raccoons and rarely gets to run a rabbit, let along catch one! LOL

would you run her on a yote  now she older, and would she  have a go or just bark at it, Dan on here said a yote tough aimal , and norm run couple staghounds on them, just wonder if she ever seen  any up close , as your out alot  and bound to have seen a few.

5 hours ago, bird said:

would you run her on a yote  now she older, and would she  have a go or just bark at it, Dan on here said a yote tough aimal , and norm run couple staghounds on them, just wonder if she ever seen  any up close , as your out alot  and bound to have seen a few.

Unfortunately, coyotes are also hard to find around here. Too many people shooting and trapping them keeps their numbers down, and more importantly keeps the coyotes smart. It's hard to even see a coyote around here, let alone get a chance at catching one. I'd like to try her on a coyote if we get the chance. Also I'd like to try her on foxes. She's ran a couple foxes, but only once was it in an area where she had any real chance at catching it. Hopefully we'll get one soon, if we can find the fox in an area open enough to give Onsa a real chance at running it before it disappears in the brush. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Minkenry said:

Unfortunately, coyotes are also hard to find around here. Too many people shooting and trapping them keeps their numbers down, and more importantly keeps the coyotes smart. It's hard to even see a coyote around here, let alone get a chance at catching one. I'd like to try her on a coyote if we get the chance. Also I'd like to try her on foxes. She's ran a couple foxes, but only once was it in an area where she had any real chance at catching it. Hopefully we'll get one soon, if we can find the fox in an area open enough to give Onsa a real chance at running it before it disappears in the brush. 

19 hours ago, Minkenry said:

Always the way, the dogs ready and the game disappears!  when you get to give her a run, don't forget your camera!