Having a heated debate

Sound travels very well through water.  But 2 miles down is a long way. Structures within the ship might have exploded a d crushed on the way down. Also various temperature zones on the way down would affect the ability for any sound to get up. Probably  not.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shepp said:

Two and a half miles straight down, that's hard to imagine!

Yea when you think about it that's a long way down! Also shows how insignificant we really are compared to the ocean's. 

Biggest man made ship in its time. Maiden voyage and it just disappeared to the depths. Another thing hard to imagine is the loss of 1500 souls. Have to admire the men back then though. Some of the richest in the world refused to go in lifeboats and gave up their seat to women and kids went down with dignity. 

Wonder how that would compare today. Can't imagine the trump's and Blair's etc etc doing that. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

I looked into it after this topic and there's a part of the ocean called challenger deep. Apparently is was measured to a depth of almost 7 miles.  Ended up looking into all sorts of crazy facts about the earth last night.  But 7 miles deep is just unimaginable. I thought the deepest bit would be about 2 miles. 

check out the maurina trench, think that's the deepest there is and the us I think may have sent a sub to it

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The one said:

I think at that depth your going to struggle to hear it hitting the bottom but the boilers etc would be exploding on the way down and maybe that's what they heard ?.

sounds more like it, as the titanic hit sand at the bottom, which as we know acts as a shock absorber, unlike a marble hitting a cast iron bath