Knowing the right time

Been coming along time, but I guess I will have a difficult decision to make in the near future. Got an old dog here almost 12 year old and she is not that far from the end i guess, had her from 9 weeks old and she has seen off a marriage, various military postings and good knows how many miles running with me in her youth. Question is when is the right time to take the one way trip to the vets and say goodbye to my old friend, some days she looks at me as if to say I have had a good innings but the time is right, but then just occasionally she shows some signs of her youth, but these are few and far between and increasingly fleeting signs. She has various ailments but is as tough as old boots and never shown an ounce of pain in her 12 years, despite on more than one occasion  being injured. This will be the first dog i have had to pts (of my own) and I had hoped i would just know when enough is enough for the old girl but she tugs at the heart strings . She is not a running dog tbf but has lived alongside treeriers s and lurchers most of her life and always been the boss, sad how time catches up with them seemingly so fast atb pic back in her heyday with some great memories post-68208-0-92031600-1495453013_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I put my old whippet down over a year ago now, jet was 13, and riddled with arthritis, the meds weren’t doing much anymore, I knew it was time, when I got out the lamp and he didn’t want to come. It’s ok to let them stay in front of the fire, as long as they aren’t suffering in pain 24/7.

• Like 7

as long as there eating, and want to go out, then there ok, if not eating and dont want to go out then there ready to finish, had a lurcher x lurcher bitch last till 14  died in her kennel  heart attack , week before  was still ok    best way to go , got old Bryn 11 this sep still fit , eats well ,  think the old twat lol  might go the same way above  ,   if she doing the above there ok , if not then there ready to finish :yes:   what breed   type is she ? 

1 hour ago, bird said:

as long as there eating, and want to go out, then there ok, if not eating and dont want to go out then there ready to finish, had a lurcher x lurcher bitch last till 14  died in her kennel  heart attack , week before  was still ok    best way to go , got old Bryn 11 this sep still fit , eats well ,  think the old twat lol  might go the same way above  ,   if she doing the above there ok , if not then there ready to finish :yes:   what breed   type is she ? 

She is a bouvier and taught me a lot about dogs she has tested my patience many a time in her youth but she has been loyal beyond belief and brilliant with the family. She is eating well but rarely wants a walk nowadays which I think is linked to get battered feet tbh as she has arthritis and is physically not a patch on her younger days. I think in my head i know she has probably had enough and tbh it isn't great seeing her stay in bed whilst the others fly up when the walking jacket goes on. I am off work next week and will be saying goodbye at the end of the week i think, cheers for the comments at b 

When you think it's time it May be less stressful if you have the vet come out and do it in comfortable surroundings (house). I've lost my fair share to working/out in the field  over the years, the hardest being 2 old terriers I had pts within a few months of each other, I cried like a small child not afraid to admit that, whatever happens won't be easy, just don't let it suffer anymore than it has too. Atb in what you decide ?

• Like 6

I was told it was best to do it "one day too soon, rather than leave it one day too late" in other words, while the dog still has a bit of dignity, rather than see your old mate too sick or crippled with pain.  Be with her to the end.....she has earned that much.....but it's never an easy day......

Edited by littlefish
  • Like 7

Had a terrier start collapsing on walks and going into fits last year. That was the time to let her go. She would piss in the house and hide because she knew it was wrong but couldnt help it. Not worth watching. I agree with doing it whilst the dog has some dignity. 

• Like 6