A85AB65E-A4B8-41AE-999F-CF73B5EF0E32.thumb.png.b25887f7a0af6c14fbb9fdb62c756d19.pngTrip to Dorset the weekend with Matt and my son George . It was to be George’s first experience of sika having stalked many roe at home . Saturday was a washout with extremely low cloud soaking us to the bone with very few deer seen . Just before last knockings, Matt being the gent he is text me to say he had glasses  a group of sika up a hedge line where he was so George and myself made our way to him . Matt guided George into a prone shooting position . I watched on from a distance . A gateway was the position Matt chose and after them both settling in a bit the rifle spoke and a young hind signalled to run left shot through the chest ( wee bit low it transpired ) . Another sika , a pricket this time jumped the far wire and George took him too under Matts guidance , dead on the spot . The first sika was given  another round as good measure but it would of died of the first shot , having both lungs ruptured . . George very happy and suitably blooded . 

FA422304-7950-403C-8E17-F32C840E6D48.jpeg

• Like 10

The next day arrived much better with a cold wind and clear skies .George and myself stalked along a patch  of gorse hoping to spot deer out in the sun as on previous visits . A stag caught our eye on the banking opposite but off piste. We watched as he skylines and disappeared. Sat for a while taking in the sights and were rewarded with the spotting of a huge stag atop a bracken clad mound that materialized from nowhere. He was also off piste but never mind ,just good to see .Matt arrived to say he'd shot a spiked and a young switch stag and need a hand for the long extraction to the truck with the ground  being too wet to drive on .

A26AF6CF-1610-417E-8EA0-DBDA9554E27E.jpeg

• Like 3

Hang on... while I was puffing a grunting up that hill dragging that stag you were skipping along behind taking pictures!?

Fair play to George - that was a difficult approach and the prone shot was from a soaking, stoney patch of ground. Both shots were at around 140m as well so a cool head on his shoulders and after watching you run 400m to congratulate him, grinning like an idiot the whole way, I could tell it meant as much to you as it did to him! Must have been a proud moment for you, can’t wait to do that with my own lad when he’s older.

My two the following day were almost carbon copy of George’s stalk except there were a few more eyes on the look out. A group was in the same field although a bit further along and included a nice 6 pint stag, two hinds with followers a switch stag and two prickets . The two prickets were the same size but one had a crappy head so I neck shot that off the bipod from the same freezing, wet gateway at around 140m, the switch stag presented a chest shot moments later at around 160 and only made 20m before piling up. The bigger stag and remaining pricket presented shots a little further on but two was enough for me and besides the group looked quite nicely balanced so I let them be and felt all the better for it.

059863B8-B10B-4868-B3FC-437A83652D5E.thumb.jpeg.0b0b21b1090b69e4095c1b0225bb3bf1.jpeg

782A372D-691C-49FB-9994-561365E21D68.thumb.jpeg.ea99d1ddad64fad35ca70765b94f0ba4.jpeg

• Like 5

Didnt want to muscle in on the drag as you looked like a man on a mission ,he who shoots its and all that lol.

Joking aside mate ,we really appreciate the chance to see what I regard as the most testing deer to stalk .I' like to think our management strategy is paying off down there as the quality seems to be improving in both body weight and antler judging by that beast just over the boundary .

Thanks once again mate from George and myself .

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...