Silened 12g

I used to own a single barrel investarm 12g hushpower I used the sub sonic ammo which I could only source in 7.5 it was amazingly quiet I would describe like the sound of a spring air rifle but there's a But it was as weak as a fart I would have been better off throwing a handful of stones at what I was shooting.

And it looked like a drain pipe in my opinion a total waste of time and energy but others may have had different experiences.

I think I gave it away in the end. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Meece said:

Don't  forget that to get any real benefit from the silencer and noise reduction you really need to use subsonic ammo. 

Not convinced that's true myself and before I got a suppressed shoty the few lads I knew with them said the same, to my surprise. Subs are quieter but it's still worthwhile even with regular 1400fps stuff.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

I used to own a single barrel investarm 12g hushpower I used the sub sonic ammo which I could only source in 7.5 it was amazingly quiet I would describe like the sound of a spring air rifle but there's a But it was as weak as a fart I would have been better off throwing a handful of stones at what I was shooting.

And it looked like a drain pipe in my opinion a total waste of time and energy but others may have had different experiences.

I think I gave it away in the end. 

I've seen pictures and also spoken to lads that reckon to have shot 100+ over decoys with suppressed 410s! Didn't believe it the first time. A very good mate uses a suppressed 12 to the same effect.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Meece said:

Don't  forget that to get any real benefit from the silencer and noise reduction you really need to use subsonic ammo. 

8 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Not convinced that's true myself and before I got a suppressed shoty the few lads I knew with them said the same, to my surprise. Subs are quieter but it's still worthwhile even with regular 1400fps stuff.

The whole point of having a silencer is for it to quieter the shot report. And the point is 》》》"to get any real benefit" 《《《《 you can quieten the muzzle blast but unless you use subsonic cartridges the noise isnt reduced to the level that it could be. If you don't use subsonic, you might as well just shoot a gun without a silencer. Its like shooting 22 hv through a silencer. The shot report is reduced but the bullet will still produce a supersonic crack. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Meece said:

If you don't use subsonic, you might as well just shoot a gun without a silencer.

In simple theory, in practice the difference is massive IMO. Have you tried? I’d happily shoot moderated shoty with normal carts all day long without hearing protection.

• Like 2

I’ve never used a moderated 12, but I have them in .410 and 20. With the exception of eley fourlongs and cheddite silencia cartridges, the Hull 23gram subsonic 20’s are about the same noise as most .410 cartridges I’ve tried in the modded .410.  The 20 hushpower certainly hits a lot harder than the .410, but it depends what you need it for. I’m thinking about getting one of the hushpower Yildiz.410’s. They’re supposed to be really quiet with subsonic cartridges.

9D4844C2-0D06-43B2-9158-DBE53D5D9A6C.jpeg

33D8CFA9-5A71-4ECA-81C1-C393D9FB4786.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Well I have just got hold of a 20 gauge silenced Mossberg, and I like it, last wk I sat in a hedge, three crows came across the field  I killed the first, missed the second, and killed the third, the birds didn’t deactivate they kept coming,  they are good guns, I use 28 grn no 5’s high pheasant, and along side the hushpower cartridge’s I cant tell the difference, learning to shoot with the silencer on took a bit of getting used to,

0441AAB3-0EA8-47F3-9FA5-4146DFF0C7B2.thumb.jpeg.ce29ba3f60b1a17f739a3eed46531d5f.jpeg

so I put a red dot sight on it, for no money really and bingo, I am starting to get some results from it, I did think about the 12 bore, but found it heavy / unwieldy to say the least, I will probably buy  a 410 later this yr , I have had some good days on branchers, with this 20 gauge, 43 on one evening, the 12 would have advantages as regards cartridge price and choice,  ie BB’s and such,  I would like to know if anyone has tried BB’s through the 20 gauge,  if you can still get them for the 20 gauge, that is,

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:01, Born Hunter said:

im not denying subs are quieter. I’m challenging the statement that there’s no real benefit without using subs. There is, IMO.

:thumbs:

As above, even using normal cartridges there WILL be a benefit as the propellant crack will be reduced.

I've not got a moderated shotgun myself and not used one for several years, but the real benefit will come with sub sonic cartridges, but then again that comes at a cost of performance.

Who knows, but the minus of sub sonic cartridges and the plus of quieter, can surely only be of benefit overall in very few situations. :hmm:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

I don't know what you want BB for but in all honesty #4 will get most large stuff down from a 20g like fox and such.

U.

Yes I agree they will, but BB’s are very good, when shooting through Squirel drays, especially when they in the bottom of old magpie nests, they are a very handy shell, I don’t use many, but when I do they do the job,   

15 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Yes I agree they will, but BB’s are very good, when shooting through Squirel drays, especially when they in the bottom of old magpie nests, they are a very handy shell, I don’t use many, but when I do they do the job,   

Indeed they can be, but a 5 or 6 cartridge (or even smaller) can usually bring down/destroy the nest where a heavy can sometimes seemingly do little damage.    

There are a lot of different cartridges out there and careful choice on a job for job, even shot for shot basis, can be required!  :thumbs:

Edited by Deker