Pulsar v ATN Thermal Spotters and Rifle Scopes

On 22/02/2018 at 15:06, Lamp_Shy said:

After some digging, I've compiled key features for comparison. It should be pretty accurate as its lifted from the manufacturers websites, it may help others. I've omitted all the WIFI and video stuff, as its not really important to me. As you can see, its difficult to make a direct comparison in certain areas:

If anyone has other information, post it and I'll update:

Thoughts?

image.png.98698861aaade39e15fcaa8f17be8650.png

The human sized detection range on a Trail XQ50 is 1800metres. 

Notice they are both the same sensor size and lens size, the ATN is not a native 4.5x it gets this magnification by, increasing the mag on the eye display. The Pulsar does not pull this trick. The pulsar can also be mounted much further back.

Personally I would avoid ATN like the plague they have had x5 UK distributors and all have binned them due to issues with products and company.

Lamp Shy, there isn't a warranty issue regarding water on the ATN scopes provided you don't leave them in a bucket of water. They are warranted for use in the rain. so there is no issue with doing so.

Actually the two scopes don't have the same lens size as the ATN is quoted as the focal length rather than the physical diameter. It's a pain for comparison, but lots of optics are quoted that way.

As what you are seeing is a 4.5x magnified image that uses all the pixels in the sensor , then that is the non-digitally-zoomed native image. If you want to claim that is a trick then speak to Swarovski, Zeiss etc, since the magnification they quote includes the affect of the the lens closest to the eye. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Cliff Ray said:

Lamp Shy, there isn't a warranty issue regarding water on the ATN scopes provided you don't leave them in a bucket of water. They are warranted for use in the rain. so there is no issue with doing so.

Actually the two scopes don't have the same lens size as the ATN is quoted as the focal length rather than the physical diameter. It's a pain for comparison, but lots of optics are quoted that way.

As what you are seeing is a 4.5x magnified image that uses all the pixels in the sensor , then that is the non-digitally-zoomed native image. If you want to claim that is a trick then speak to Swarovski, Zeiss etc, since the magnification they quote includes the affect of the the lens closest to the eye. 

So your saying the ATN model above is not a 50mm lens, like its quoted? The only way that scope with 17 micron sensor and 50mm lens gets to 4.5x mag is utilising extra magnification on the eye display side. Unless it was fitted with a 12micron sensor which it definitely is not..

Exactly the same principle behind why a Helion 17 micron sensor with 50mm lens gives 4.1x mag, and a Trail 17 micron sensor with 50mm lens gives 2.7x mag. The helion model  is magnified on the eye display giving 4.1x, same with all Helion models, the Trail models do not, to aid with eye relief and are at there native setting, IMO giving a better image, as well as field of view benefits.

Why the obsession with the diameter of the lens for your magnification calculation? Yes it makes a load of difference for light gathering and image quality, but the lens diameter does not govern the magnification. Magnification is down to the focal length of the lens and the spacing between the lens and the sensor. It would be perfectly possiblee to make lens of 100mm and 1mm diameter with the same focal length in which case placed at the same distance they would give the same magnification.

The lens size goes hand in hand with magnification and image detail/sensitivity.

I agree with your point but increasing focal length will reduce sensitivity of the unit, you state an increased lens does not govern magnification, there both directly related, you try using a 1mm 10x scope.