Hessian bags compared to carry box

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

what our ozzy mates are missing the point...is lads are talking about is poaching and not wanting to be seen carrying a ferret box....from time to time whilst wandering local i often have a small jill

Make yourself a smallish box to go in the bottom of a rucksack be alright for a single bitch ferret. Hope your keeping alright mush ??

Eh up Cushty. Nice to hear from you. Been a while. How's the Corby Candle? I remember when we used bank bags which were not hessian but did the job ok. Fit nicely in the pocket. Jok.

Ferrets in bags/slips are for pro's only lol, Clumsy coffee drinking rabbit diggers are better off sticking to there boxes lol.

As for falling on a ferret in a bag i would rather land on my head!I have never harmed a bagged ferret.

Boxes are good for transporting to the hunting ground in motorcar or on really long days,but give a bag a go on those nice little outings.

Boxes harm ferrets more than bags do and thats a truth i have learnt, How many of you have caught the ferrets foot closing a box?

Bagging ferrets is a skill in itself cos they love the game of peek a boo!

Boxed ferrets can be noisy and scratch a lot, also big wired vent holes tempt more scratching.

Bags are light and ferrets settle down quick and are quiet. ferrets don't tend to shit in bags either. A ferret in a bag is warm for you and itself on those cold winter mornings.

Boxes and bags are both useful, I have mentioned the above points just so you don't rule out bags or slips.

Bags/slips can be made from old jumper arm sleeves,old pillow cases,cloth bank bags,old handbags,large socks or thick tights ect ect. I only put two ferret's per bag/slip for comfort of the wee beasts. obviously the bag needs to be something breathable! no plastic bags,mmm did i really need to say that? lol.

These are just some of my opinions

Anyway i'm going to have a midnight coffee now and hope i don't spill it or burn myself drinking it!

All the best to you all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, nothernlite said:

If aye could get bank bags I would can't stand ferrets scratching at the box do yourself more damage if you fall on a box 

Thats it, I'm calling you softy from now on, lol. just kidding buddy, No chance ,won't keep the weather off them, and I would rather fall on a box than one of my workers

16 minutes ago, Sirblessed said:

Thats it, I'm calling you softy from now on, lol. just kidding buddy, No chance ,won't keep the weather off them, and I would rather fall on a box than one of my workers

Keep the weather of them for years cut the lining in your jacket and we put them in there they were warm don't get me wrong they have more room in the box  

Talking of bags brought a memory back of the first time I was aloud to go with my father and friends. There were three ferrets in different bags all jumping around and would slowly make there way to the hedge even though bagged, i was most concerned and would pick them up take them back out into the field much to the amusement of the old guys. The bags then were canvas like tarpaulin material with a brass eyelet in the side. Every body used them back then by the time I had my own ferret and was old enough to go by myself every body used boxes.

Cheers Arry

2 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Serious question now.....have you ever fell face first and not put your hands down to stop you ? 

And as for a bag not offering protection from the weather ..... the bag is in side your pocket or inside your coat..so if you have a decent coat on your ferret will be as dry and as warm as you are ..

as for only using a bag if your broke that’s just bollox lol 

were talking a nice little mooch about here .. ferret in a bag inside your coat  5 nets in each pocket and a small shovel on a string round your back ....quick little mooch out couple rabbits for the pot job done ....were not talking about climbing Kilimanjaro up death defying rock faces while at battling the harshest of weather whitest drinking coffe/ or whiskey 

and if you have a ferret in a bag in your pocket and you fall over and don’t manage to put your hands down to stop you face planting the floor then it’s probably time to pack in mush lol