Swapping 243 for 270

Ahh now ya got me caffuddled, I swapped my 308 for the 243,wish I hadn't I must admit. The reasoning for going 708 is I have a friend who has let me use it and it is very nice plus he reloads for peanuts, so rounds would be cheap for me too, now you've thrown a 6.5 into the equation hmmm, would certainly like to try one before I make a final decision now and do my variation ?.

Thank you all for the input, decisions decisions!?!

I have a 270 & 243.   If  you reload  for the 270 it can go from a sweet soft load to really pushing it out there. Where do you get bullets / who stocks this alternative ammo a nd how much is it if you can't get 270 from your mate? Go 270. Simple.

If you think a 270 is better suited to your shooting needs then so be it.

I wouldn't fret over barrel type, get what you want, I have a mixture, all are light rifles which I consider far more important than colour/composition. 

I look after all of my rifles and struggle to see the difference in wear, durability, accuracy.

:thumbs:

• Like 2

I shoot a .270 and a 7x57, as said previously you won't get a runner from a .270 (I haven't anyway & I've shot

my fair share).

Although the 130gr is the 'usual' load mine works much better with home load Sierra 150gr soft points, heart/lungers go

right through but create a veritable mishmash in the bullet path. By the way my .270 is Browning A Bolt Medalion

left hand blue not stainless (spazzy-me), had it from new, Leupold Premier Scope, Wildcat Predator 8, can't miss out to 200.

AF

I have a 243 and a 270, use the 243 for most of my stalking, have shot everything with it muntjac to reds and all have dropped with a well placed shot. The 270 is a different beast, yes it has more recoil but it also has much more knock down power, and on longer range stuff, stags in forestry at 200m plus close to last light I would always take my 270. I have never found mine too much to shoot and in my experience (sold my 308) to buy the 270 no noticible difference, also I have used it with very good effect on driven boar. Personally, I think if you get a rifle that fits you properly recoil is not a problem. Anyway good luck in choosing and happy stalking. 

• Like 2