Swapping 243 for 270

I'm thinking of swapping my x bolt III 243 for a 270 A bolt stainless. Apart from the obvious (corrosion, longevity) is there any other advantages to going stainless? They are more than double in price and still in two minds. I know the advantages caliber wise, just really looking for the excuse to be paying double, I've always well looked after my rifles, and never had real corrosion problems.

Both browning by the way.

Edited by Gav
Manufacturer

8 hours ago, Gav said:

I'm thinking of swapping my x bolt III 243 for an A bolt stainless. Apart from the obvious (corrosion, longevity) is there any other advantages to going stainless? They are more than double in price and still in two minds. I know the advantages caliber wise, just really looking for the excuse to be paying double, I've always well looked after my rifles, and never had real corrosion problems.

Both browning by the way.

Why pay double the money for looks alone? As stated you look after your rifles. Depending on what you are hunting and were should be your decision maker.

But if you like the look of the stainless, then treat yourself we only live once.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Full marks from me for going to .270. 

U.

Yeah cheers, mate reloads 270 too so cheap ammo, but is it worth the money going stainless? It's for culling reds here and we have no trees, cover been limited distance is a major factor.

All I know is, the stainless rifles I had and friends made not a jot of difference in the field so if you want some added protection from corrosion go for it.

I still recommend an oily pull through for the end of the day and a dry pull through for the beginning of the next day.

There still is iron present in stainless steel!

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

I'd most definately go for stainless, I've a blued steel 243 and a 308 stainless, for me it's a no brained if you're out in crap weather a lot gk for stainless. The X bolt I bought is very, very light too.

Incidentally, I bought a bigger calibre for Reds, have you considered a 308? Cheap reloads and absolutely devastating in 180g SP's. My friends has a 270, but the hitting power is no where near the 308. He's trading it in for a 308! :-)

Gets my vote.

• Like 1

I think it's all down to ammunition and ballastics, a 270 packs  greater grain bullet and velocity than both 243 and 308, I had a rem 308 which I swapped for the 243, and to be honest I should have kept the 308, but choice of rounds and price led me to 243, I've since had use of a 270 on occasions, which is why I want to move up. There are other factors too, friend reloads 270 for peanuts and the federal ballastics are great. I was just wanting to know if stainless had any better justification for more than double the price.

I do appreciate your input though, thank you.

balcalc_chart_1518210540.png

balcalc_chart_1518210445.png

Edited by Gav
Spelling

I went down the stainless / synthetic route a few years back more for weight issues than anything , still treat it the same as the blued version cleaning wise . Given our wet it gets up the top end I think that stainless is the way forward ..:thumbs:

• Like 1

I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here and suggest 2 modern alternatives to .270, similar in size:

1. 6.5 Creedmoor - gaining a lot of traction as the next possible NATO round and becoming a very popular hunting / target round. Bit less powerful than .270 but renowned for long range accuracy and low recoil. Ammo off the shelf.

2. 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum - a real Wildcat but with ammo off the shelf. World's fastest 6.5 load - up to 3,500fps from a 6.5mm bullet with up to 3,000ftlbs. Flat shooting with a drop at 500yds of only 19 inches.

Picture at the bottom is a still from the video below showing all 3 cartridges side by side.

image.png

Edited by Alsone

Used to have them both and I found the 308 much more agreeable to use , that’s not saying it’s better , nothing ever stood up after hitting it with a 270 ..just found the 308 nicer to shoot especially if it was down the range ..

edited to say I have neither of them now and use the 6.5 on everything ..

• Like 3
8 hours ago, sussex said:

Used to have them both and I found the 308 much more agreeable to use , that’s not saying it’s better , nothing ever stood up after hitting it with a 270 ..just found the 308 nicer to shoot especially if it was down the range ..

edited to say I have neither of them now and use the 6.5 on everything ..

+1 had .243  .270 .308 I now shoot 6.5x55 and cannot see me changing to any other rifle for deer.

All the above do the job, I just find the 6.5 is sweeter to shoot and a tadge more accurate when pushed out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, delswal said:

+1 had .243  .270 .308 I now shoot 6.5x55 and cannot see me changing to any other rifle for deer.

All the above do the job, I just find the 6.5 is sweeter to shoot and a tadge more accurate when pushed out.

Yep , covers all the bases for me to , I stick to a homeload a pal of mine loads and it’s a tack driver ..

• Like 1