Season finished

I have no doubt it's a very effective way of controlling foxes but a 100% kill rate? I have dealt with immaciated foxes resulting from gun shot wounds... you implied you packed in terrierwork because you found shooting quick and humane? I disagree, terrierwork carried out correctly is as quick and humane as any form of control IMO...if not more so

• Like 3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We out today for the last dig of our season and had a nice handy dig to my Lizzy bitch with 2 up tight in front of her on the break through. We had a good season with 2 young dogs started and going we

there was i time i had loads of permission , could pick and choice , myself and two of my cousins where doing the terrier work for 3 packs of hounds plus a couple of large estates and farms Loads of w

i think its all fairly simple , if you have permission to hunt land in the name of game bird protection , and the gamekeeper phones in july asking you to check some earths as he's seen signs about nea

I always try and let anything run free after a dig I've done what I set out to do  unless a keeper or farmers present or they want proof in which case a vixen is let go and a dog is shown if he's present I retrieved a fox last year with a big hole in its back leg and was painfully thin so I know not all foxes shot with a rifle die straight away and call out are a pain but if you don't don't do it someone will 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Kaiser Sozé said:

I have no doubt it's a very effective way of controlling foxes but a 100% kill rate? I have dealt with immaciated foxes resulting from gun shot wounds... you implied you packed in terrierwork because you found shooting quick and humane? I disagree, terrierwork carried out correctly is as quick and humane as any form of control IMO...if not more so

every method if done right is effective no matter what discipline you are involved in. 

1 hour ago, blackmaggie said:

Fair comment its like trigger happy c**ts shooting at foxes with no6 cartridge whilst pigieoning or whilst out of range with no hope of picking them up why even pull the trigger 

Or you could be like stopend.

He goes out for a shot and see's a fox in a field and is able to direct that fox into a burrow close by with a no.6 or likewise.

The kind of sorcery even Harry Potter couldn't pull off!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
7 hours ago, IrishFoxer said:

every method if done right is effective no matter what discipline you are involved in. 

Very true if you use a .243 correctly well let' just say boom he ain' getting up if a 120kg stag falls like a sack a spuds a measly little fox has no chance hollow point or ballistic point what ever your fancy. I favor terrier work over the rifle but this also must be done correctly by dog and man. It can result in a loss of fox or even terrier also it works on both sides of the sport it must be done correctly.

16 hours ago, fat man said:

That's all we'll and good but 99% of the rifle lads don't work terriers so when they shoot a milky vixon the unfortunate cub's are left to die a long death.

Same could be said when lads are out lamping with dogs and killing foxes? Or snaring? Should we all stop driving cars because plenty end up sunbathing on the side of the road? Seasons over now, let the bitching  and infighting start lol??atb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, 5 feet down said:

But they could argue that they were “trying “to shoot that fox for protection of game or livestock! 

Wheres your argument when your intentionally going digging an earth and ruining a home to let it run free? There’s not one! You might as well leave it be happy in the earth in dug!! Just think before you write it’s really that simple

Spoken like a true keeper,:thumbs: but you're right. We do have be seen to work terriers in a humane and professional manner while preforming pest control.

But here in Ireland it is very traditional to allow quarry to live for another day and without a shadow of a doubt educated game DOES make for better terriers. To a lot of Irish terriermen the very thoughts of killing game is completely out of the question.

On a legal note, I'm not sure about Britain but under our Master of Foxhounds rules a cold marked fox can be bolted by a terrier to be hunted by hounds. But not when put to ground after being hunted.

Personally I'll never apologize for allowing most of my quarry to run and I take great pleasure in seeing a healthy specimen that's after giving me and my terrier a testing hunt running away to hopefully meet him again some day. It's how I was taught and it's how I like it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, 5 feet down said:

Totally different in UK terrier Work was kept for vermin control,under the gamekeepers act! I couldn’t give a f**k what people do, it’s just you haven’t got an argument for keeping terrier work if your digging an earth then letting it run free cause stress to dog and fox it wouldn’t wash in a court of law! People going on about fb ruining terrier work there’s a few things written on here that are just as bad! Everything is dug and humanly dispatched ?

Used to dig with an English Gamekeeper. None of us liked him as he was a loud mouth but he had 1000s of acres to hunt over so we put up with him. He loved to kill anything. It wasn't about vermin control as he probably caused the deaths of more of his pheasants than any amount of foxes. But we always loved to let quarry off.

We were on one of our own farms one day and to shut the Keeper up we told him the farmer was an IRA man (he wasn't) so to keep the English accent down. It was working nicely 'till we dug a huge dog fox with the keepers young dog and he wanted it killed for a rag. But we thought it was too fine a fox to kill. As my mate was holding it loosely by the scruff the fox turned around and took hold of my mates shirt sleeve and wouldn't let go. The keeper started laughing and said that now we had to kill it. I took out my knife and cut the sleeve around the fox's mouth.

I can still see that monster of a fox running off with about 2 inches of shirt sleeve either side of it's mouth and I can still hear that keeper telling us we hadn't a clue.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Wideboy said:

Shot enough numbers and I can guarantee you will end up with a three legged fox or worse. 

ok i have shot foxes with a shotgun using lead bb's in a heavy load, 223 ballistic tip bullets and 243 soft points designed for expansion and quick kills and i never had a leg blown off i aim for the engine room or front on, so i dont know what you have shot foxes with before but its sounds like you are telling porkies mate. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, IrishFoxer said:

ok i have shot foxes with a shotgun using lead bb's in a heavy load, 223 ballistic tip bullets and 243 soft points designed for expansion and quick kills and i never had a leg blown off i aim for the engine room or front on, so i dont know what you have shot foxes with before but its sounds like you are telling porkies mate. 

No he's not. Anyone who has done even a bit of shooting, particularly at night, will have seen foxes wounded. Let's call a spade a spade here. It happens.

• Like 3