Season finished

Just now, Wideboy said:

I'v shot a few with my .220 swift, which is one of the best foxing rounds. I knew this would be your answer, you never miss or pull a shot.....Annie Oakley. By the way, I have no problem with you shooting foxes, just don't say foxes don't get injuried by rifles, as they do. 

i do pull shots i'm human every body misses but only to see a fox run away healthy and not wounded and to become educated, 220 is a flat round and would knock a fox on his arse so i don't know pal even the hydro-static shock of the 220 swift would kill a fox out right., call a spade a spade here like there is some sort of stigma but f**k it trying to explain something here is like flogging a dead horse.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We out today for the last dig of our season and had a nice handy dig to my Lizzy bitch with 2 up tight in front of her on the break through. We had a good season with 2 young dogs started and going we

there was i time i had loads of permission , could pick and choice , myself and two of my cousins where doing the terrier work for 3 packs of hounds plus a couple of large estates and farms Loads of w

i think its all fairly simple , if you have permission to hunt land in the name of game bird protection , and the gamekeeper phones in july asking you to check some earths as he's seen signs about nea

i have blew out the heart of a fox before he ran for 20 yards but ran dead sometimes they run as their muscle memory takes over, most cases have being runners but they are dead  and just fall over i always aim for the center mass of a fox heart and lung shot never go for a head shot as i fear i will blow off a jaw and worse it will starve to death at least when i aim for center mass its more forgiving.

2 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Used to dig with an English Gamekeeper. None of us liked him as he was a loud mouth but he had 1000s of acres to hunt over so we put up with him. He loved to kill anything. It wasn't about vermin control as he probably caused the deaths of more of his pheasants than any amount of foxes. But we always loved to let quarry off.

We were on one of our own farms one day and to shut the Keeper up we told him the farmer was an IRA man (he wasn't) so to keep the English accent down. It was working nicely 'till we dug a huge dog fox with the keepers young dog and he wanted it killed for a rag. But we thought it was too fine a fox to kill. As my mate was holding it loosely by the scruff the fox turned around and took hold of my mates shirt sleeve and wouldn't let go. The keeper started laughing and said that now we had to kill it. I took out my knife and cut the sleeve around the fox's mouth.

I can still see that monster of a fox running off with about 2 inches of shirt sleeve either side of it's mouth and I can still hear that keeper telling us we hadn't a clue.

A lot of the old school would kill what they dug, a good few in eire did also, as they were so plentiful. But thankfully its the norm to let them run now.

• Thanks 1

Rob, going back to the 70s and 80s when there were a good few terrier clubs in Ireland it was stated in the rules that anyone found digging vixens and cubs would be dis-missed from the club and if you go even further back to when the Irish K.C. ran trials it was a big NO NO to kill badgers. This was not only because killing them was not necessary but also because it made for a better standard of terrier.

Thankfully there's plenty of terriermen here in Ireland who still believe in only culling when necessary.

• Thanks 1

Every keeper I've met is a ruthless b*****d, if they're not blaming the foxes for killing the birds, they're blaming the deer for knocking over the feeders and so on and so forth. At the end of the day it's their job and livelihood.

And Irish Fox you're pissing in the wind if you think you're going to be able to come onto a Terrier forum and talk about rifling foxes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lol different worlds Neil .I can picture a few keepers faces if i were to say we let one go .There is no shortage here .I shoot snare and  dig but still there will calls about cubs .Its very narrow minded to believe any form of control can be undertaken with terriers alone and that other methods are to be snarled at ,here in Wilts anyway .I can understand lads who are only in it for the sport aspect getting pissed off at the rifle men but to reduce numbers those same men need to put the hours in or they are playing at it  too .

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Every keeper I've met is a ruthless b*****d, if they're not blaming the foxes for killing the birds, they're blaming the deer for knocking over the feeders and so on and so forth. At the end of the day it's their job and livelihood.

And Irish Fox you're pissing in the wind if you think you're going to be able to come onto a Terrier forum and talk about rifling foxes.

knew that from the start.

And in the 21st century in Wales those who give me permission to work my dogs say when, so I crack on ...I wish a lot of people posting from the UK not just on this thread or on this broad would read the terrier  code of conduct and the laws in which we have to work terriers for pest control  and think about them every time they post , and to my Celtic cousin over the river also think before you post or you to could be in the same  shit the anti's are universal in  their attacks and what they use in one country they will use in another ...

• Like 6
On 2/12/2018 at 15:43, neil cooney said:

Used to dig with an English Gamekeeper. None of us liked him as he was a loud mouth but he had 1000s of acres to hunt over so we put up with him. He loved to kill anything. It wasn't about vermin control as he probably caused the deaths of more of his pheasants than any amount of foxes. But we always loved to let quarry off.

We were on one of our own farms one day and to shut the Keeper up we told him the farmer was an IRA man (he wasn't) so to keep the English accent down. It was working nicely 'till we dug a huge dog fox with the keepers young dog and he wanted it killed for a rag. But we thought it was too fine a fox to kill. As my mate was holding it loosely by the scruff the fox turned around and took hold of my mates shirt sleeve and wouldn't let go. The keeper started laughing and said that now we had to kill it. I took out my knife and cut the sleeve around the fox's mouth.

I can still see that monster of a fox running off with about 2 inches of shirt sleeve either side of it's mouth and I can still hear that keeper telling us we hadn't a clue.

Was that keeper your old pal Stephen.

Edited by Hatch28
  • Haha 1

All methods of hunting if done correctly are effective. It's when it's done incorrectly ( dog, snare or gun) that problems start. That's why they use the word humane dispatch. If hunting men quarrel amongst themselves then the anti won't need much help to ban all hunting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 2/12/2018 at 19:31, foxdropper said:

Lol different worlds Neil .I can picture a few keepers faces if i were to say we let one go .There is no shortage here .I shoot snare and  dig but still there will calls about cubs .Its very narrow minded to believe any form of control can be undertaken with terriers alone and that other methods are to be snarled at ,here in Wilts anyway .I can understand lads who are only in it for the sport aspect getting pissed off at the rifle men but to reduce numbers those same men need to put the hours in or they are playing at it  too .

Its no different back here country is over run by foxes the rifle men gave the foxes around here a right hammering at the start of the season and there's still plenty about I snared a massive one right at the enterance to my house and there's still a real nuisance fox comes into the yard right past the dogs, plenty about  for digging only you need hounds to get them to ground.

We had guys come in on the lamp before Christmas they shot 68 foxes in a month,I hunt with a horse pack some Saturdays and there on foot then on Sundays im with them every weekend and each day there was few foxes run in for us even up to 8 and 9 foxes some days but when the guys on lamp had done all they could the hound lads were hitting no foxes,we went 3 Sundays in a row blanc so we moved away from the lads to start walking holes in different area.it has left it a disaster