40 pound foxes.

11 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Eddie, the fact it was shot in Westmeath might explain the exaggeration. So we can presume it was a 15 lb vixen, LOL.

Just as well it wasn't shot in Dublin. It would be a 60 pounder that had a child in it's mouth at the time, LOL.

And a needle in its shoulder

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a 40 pounder but a fine fox today

this one was 28lb

One from couple seasons back,was a fair old lump .

Posted Images

Only ever got a couple of big foxes, 1st one was lamping on a golf course A few years ago, he was very well fed,  the 2nd 1 (in the picture, I am 6ft 2 lol some length on him) was out doing cover with the hounds and Lurcher’s, a mate caught it,  it was like a German Shepard coming up the ditch lol but when the fur got wet it was half the size, both very close to the 20lb mark, I would hate to see the Lurcher  or terrier near a 40 pounder, I would be calling them back lol 

8AEB4800-B200-4319-B434-70C85E304B51.png

2 hours ago, Dig-deep-draw-charlie said:

Only ever got a couple of big foxes, 1st one was lamping on a golf course A few years ago, he was very well fed,  the 2nd 1 (in the picture, I am 6ft 2 lol some length on him) was out doing cover with the hounds and Lurcher’s, a mate caught it,  it was like a German Shepard coming up the ditch lol but when the fur got wet it was half the size, both very close to the 20lb mark, I would hate to see the Lurcher  or terrier near a 40 pounder, I would be calling them back lol 

8AEB4800-B200-4319-B434-70C85E304B51.png

the one yous got lamping was a brute alright. ive seen that one up behind work a few times now. the one I rang you about, hes in top nick

7 minutes ago, Dig-deep-draw-charlie said:

I got a pic with him, he’s bigger than that 1, f**k knows where it is now, M might still have it, I am gonna have to get a run up and check about there

defo, hes been after the phesants non stop. the vixen hasn't been with him the last 3 times ive seen him, think shes took to the nest

It was nearly 19yrs ago when I moved to the village where I now, still dwell. I had two or three terriers at the time who saw plenty of work, and after a few weeks chatting (and drinking) with the local keepers down the pub, I managed to secure some permission right on my doorstep, I ended up with everything in the surrounding area, but to start with they threw me a few scraps just to see the cut of my jib so to speak. Anyhoo, I digress. The very first place I was sent a three to four acre pine wood which set next to a bit of grassland of the Same size with a big chalky pit in the middle of it. Walked the wood, there was a pit at the back with an old sett in it and elsewhere a few pulled out rabbit buries but nowt holding in any so I walked across to the chalk pit. Here, the terrier showed a lot of interest in a two holer, these two holes mind were at the bottom of a twenty foot face of chalk! I had a wee ponder, then, rightly or wrongly entered the dog. He was straight on, baying steady, then on the move. I sat back quietly with the shotgun, and after a short while out popped an absolute beast of a dog fox who was duly shot. The head on this thing would have put a bull terrier to shame, his canines were worn down to the nubs and holding it up, and say it was a good 30+lb animal. Keepers were chuffed to bits as they told me they'd been after this big ol' bugger for many moons but never seemed to be able to nail him. Was certainly the biggest I ever had or saw before or since...

Yokel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 2/8/2018 at 09:42, neil cooney said:

Terriermen and hunting men have always weighed their kills, particularly Otter hunters because hounds don't break them up like they do a fox. Manys a classic Otter hunt report ended with the weight of the Otter being mentioned. A small spring balance takes up no room in your pocket.

Guessing can make a liar of you. I snared a very large Fox a few years ago and took it home for a photo and to weigh it. It was 18 1/2 pounds. So with lads on here saying they've weighed foxes in the upper 20 lbs range you'd have to add another 1/3 of their size to even come close to 40 lbs. A 20 pounder is a very large fox so there's people claiming to have had Foxes double that.

IMO 40 pounders are either exaggerations or imaginations gone wild.

very true neil, with alot of animals , thats been killed either gun or dog , you think bloody hell thats a big deer or fox , but get them up on the scales  , its a different  story  . this fox  i got here  was just under 19 lb , my biggest up to date, i am near enough 6ft , you can see by it length / size  by me it  a good size  deff , a 20-35 lb must have  have been like a small gsd  . haha   .

DSCN0944.JPG

• Like 1

I remember when my brother worked at a uni on security were the students fed foxes on a big plate outside the halls and one stood out as being massive with being in season I took Maggie and a young bitch some were quiet on the back fields that backed on to theses halls within a 5 min period a big dog bolted out of side of a pile of brash Maggie took it hardly  a tooth in it head 19lb  I would of swore he was alot bigger 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, blackmaggie said:

I remember when my brother worked at a uni on security were the students fed foxes on a big plate outside the halls and one stood out as being massive with being in season I took Maggie and a young bitch some were quiet on the back fields that backed on to theses halls within a 5 min period a big dog bolted out of side of a pile of brash Maggie took it hardly  a tooth in it head 19lb  I would of swore he was alot bigger 

That's the thing, 19 lbs IS a big fox. When lads start talking about fox's the size of collie's then a 19 pounder sounds like a cub.

Look at Carp anglers ? Some of them consider a twenty something that gets in the way when you're trying to hook a forty. 

Appreciate and be grateful for every fox you hunt whether he's an average 14 lbs or a whopping 20 lbs and whether you account for him or not. I still don't believe there's a 40 pound fox out there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1