Winchester subs

I am a newbie to rimfire use and heard a snippet at the weekend whilst clay shooting when a chap was saying about how big an effect the cold has on Winchester subsonic 42 max shells. I didn't have the opportunity to quiz the guy further as we were shooting on different squads so the questions I need to ask are :-

1, It this true

2, what effect on zero does it have

3, Are there any shells which suffer less than the Winchester in the cold

I have only used Winchester so far but will over time try other shells anyway to see if better groups can be gained with different shells.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I've heard the theory before. The idea is cold air is denser, so makes the bullets strike lower and/or give you the odd flyer. I've not experienced it myself, but if the theory is correct, it should apply to all ammo, not a specific brand. 

Once you've found a brand that your gun likes best, I'd stick with it. 

Newbie to l/r hunting but out Sunday night colder than a witches tit and it had no effect on the winnie subs or cci i was trying tbh .It was alledgley -1 and i was zeroing a scope so used about 20 of each to try at different ranges atb

• Like 1

I can't say I've ever noticed a variation simply down to temperature.  Atmospheric conditions certainly, especially fog/ground mist, the moisture in the air can most certainly effect bullet flight, as can heat eddys etc etc etc!

• Like 1

The minor effect that any external influence has,  is far outweighed by other thIngs.  Some barrels shoot tight groups with almost all brands of ammo others seem to shoot better with a certain brand. Basically a lump Of lead is propelled down a tube. The most variable factor is the nut behind the gun. One thing that I have come across is that the son in laws .cz auto has issue with the 42 gen win subs. The shape of the bull nose 42 gen bullet catches now and again on the top of the action as the bullet is tipped up out of the  mag. The bullet is seriously distorted and the case and bullet are nearly folded to a right angle. He now uses cci and I have his brick of wins. The wins shoot good in my bolt and his auto but not good at loading in his auto. I've found them to be accurate in my gun.

• Like 1