Got Pork? Weber-ise it. My efforts.

So today I am trying that Pork Shoulder that was suggested.
Its 35C here today, so why not a roast ?

I'm trying to do a 'snake' method, as it was suggested a long slow cook, pics, lots of...
It was good but not spectacular, have done a better job with the leg roast, just means more practice
and a little more time as it was rare near at the bone in the thickest part. BUT not a fail. :)
Next time maybe a smaller shoulder.

Chimney start - the best way really

Snake method for longer cook

Hot coals into the Weber

Veges to roast no par cook this time as they will be in there longer

Pork shoulder - 2.5kg a bit big really, the wife bought it, and it should make it to the plates this time - LOL

IT'S done now !

Vege's too - behind the vege's you will see how the coals continue to burn around the Weber from the original start

Bugger sacrifices my beloved gym shorts, oh poo!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 17hornet said:

Does anyone here use one of these BBQ kettles ?

I use a Chargriller Akorn.

I did the pork roast with an ancho-coffee rub. Coated the meat in olive oil and then sprinkle the coating on. Smoked for 5 hours in the Akorn over lump wood charcoal.

00a.jpg.aacbf419cea03a8f8ec2db0190b3a11d.jpg00b.jpg.3fe96c2f5d07e00748f9cf82e79e6e31.jpg00c.jpg.56d74fe8b494abdffabe64f13cfb4fb4.jpg

It was bone in also but didn't have an issue with blood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 04/02/2018 at 19:32, ChrisJones said:

I use a Chargriller Akorn.

I did the pork roast with an ancho-coffee rub. Coated the meat in olive oil and then sprinkle the coating on. Smoked for 5 hours in the Akorn over lump wood charcoal.

00a.jpg.aacbf419cea03a8f8ec2db0190b3a11d.jpg00b.jpg.3fe96c2f5d07e00748f9cf82e79e6e31.jpg00c.jpg.56d74fe8b494abdffabe64f13cfb4fb4.jpg

It was bone in also but didn't have an issue with blood.

Jeez, did you all say a prayer and give it a good send off ?

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, 17hornet said:

You guys are doing an outstanding job, I'm green eyed with envy.

But as they say " Get some PORK on ya FORK"

:boogy:

Got some waiting in the fridge now, another cook out to come....  wish me luck, still got my learners plates on.

No worries! Look forward to seeing how you get on with it. The only secret here is to stick at it and have fun with it. :thumbs:

Do you have access to any hardwood like apple, or cherry? Adding that to your cook can get a nice 'bark' on the outside of your pork.

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 1

No pork this weekend as we did another brisket but any of you that have been over here will know that Yank bacon is a weird thing. Not being one to completely shrug off the motherland I have to make my own. Brined for a couple of days in a Wiltshire concoction the result is everything I'd want from a high street cafe.

B1.jpg.367f1c299caecedfa5bb72325c89383f.jpg

B2.jpg.b43d922432aff73a13fbc70bcaa8f16e.jpg

I might be an immigrant but I'm not uncivilised...

Tea.jpg.d23559ad67a10a8a05931009f3aa98ef.jpg

Makes for a decent breakfast anyway...

• Like 3

So this last one is a 'rolled pork roast' (?), veges as usual.

Set up the heat beads in the chimney, some charcoal in amongst it, prepared the roast and vege
and waited for the coals to be ready.

Coals in normal place either side, preheated Weber and then placed in the Pork.
Thought it may be a shorter cook like a Lamb roast, so let it go for about 1hr 45min before checking.

Popped the top and it wasnt quite done so gave it another 45min, then checked - meat done but crackle wasnt so good :(
so hooked it all inside to take off the skin and slice the roll.
( forgot the bloody pics didnt I ! )
Had to cheat with the crackle, slapped it into the microwave for 4min covered with toweling, once cooled it was pretty crunchy
but not chewy hard. That crackle disappeared really quick with everyone - :lol: :lol:

Pork was cooked through well and even, fat melted nicely, moist meat - not bad at all but could do better with some more smoke flavour.
Seasoned with just rosemary and garlic, salt and olive oil.

Maybe I could have unrolled it and used something like mild mustard or something then rolled it up again ?

Any comment ?

Kids are getting very excited these days when I decide to cook in the Weber, even the 2yr old is jumping up and down in the kitchen
which is very cute and fulfilling to see.
The kids are taking turns torching the heat beads, :woohoo:

Had the roast pork, vege, a nice mixed salad, all quite nice but a glass of wine or two would have gone down well.

Weber is out of commission for a couple of weeks, gave it a good scrub out and getting a mod made for it.... Sshhhhhh dont tell anyone.

• Haha 1

Looks well mate. I always go for the low and slow (110ºC/230ºF) and I try not to peek too much because it just adds to the cook. If you want to try it with the mustard put it in at the beginning and let it work in with the meat.

Also, consider getting a meat thermometer. That way you can keep an eye on the meat temperature without risking your cook!

Looks superb though! Don't forget the camera next time! THL rules are pics or it didn't happen! :laugh: :thumbs: