How many working terrier are registred to the Kennel Club ?

36 minutes ago, Mr. Mxyzptlk said:

what is Master Earth Terrier or Field Trial Champion? are they really indicators of a Terriers working ability

I wouldn't confuse the difference unless it was to start an argument. Again the French kennel club is ran differentally. Completely different than uk or Ireland unless you have an axe to grind.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many in my opinion. If you look at the Irish kennel club breeds, only the odd few Wheaten or Glen of Imaal terriers may be seen in the field today. The Irish and Kerry blue terriers were neve

Bliase, you have asked a question on THL and not had much response. I find that a shame as many of us, myself included, have asked questions of yourself and have been given prompt and considered repli

Here in Ireland I would say that 100% of every terrier registered by the IKC was either a worker or it's parents were if you asked the owner. If you asked the owner of every working terrier in Ir

Posted Images

On 1/31/2018 at 15:50, neil cooney said:

Nope, met him last Summer and he's got out of them. But I do hope the outcross he made is still running in the lines of KC Glens. Kennel Club breeds need more breeders like him who have a bit of foresight. They mightn't be in the trouble they are if they did.

A  breed with a  fair small gene pool, I'd say they'd do well with a cross of working wheaten, the odd "purebred " glen  comes out with long legs.(a breed that peddlers really got  their claws into -a friend of  mine breeds  them--he'd some dublin fella ringing him up giving out about selling glen pups for less than  700 euro )

Edited by tinytiger
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Mr. Mxyzptlk said:

No.just honest asking.

In other words the U.K. And Irish kennel club was spoiled a long time ago. The French kennel club are still in charge of the hound packs and hunts and terrier groups. ( the way it should be)

14 minutes ago, Mr. Mxyzptlk said:

what is Master Earth Terrier or Field Trial Champion? are they really indicators of a Terriers working ability

I don't know concerning Master Earth Terrier, may be to far ffrom realities.

If some use artificial sets, I prefer  to look at the work in a natural set.

According my way : Ability to search, going far and deep, engagement to hunt and push the prey, barks qualities (strong and regular, durable for long time), tenacity (don't come out during the hunt, never leave the prey), ability to face an attack (no retreat, just a little), ability to stop a fight without retreat, ability to work without too much nervousness. And for the end, ability to do all the job without too much injuries.

In France, each working terrier breed club have his own criteria. This is the case for Jagd Terrier, Teckel, Jack Russell, Fox Terrier or others terriers.They are different. For example, Jagd Terrier club is looking for the biting, strong biting is required. Jack Russell club is looking for abilities to move in tiny tunnels (useful for fox). Teckel club is watchful with barks. 

Nevertheless, the best way to know dog's abilities is hunt, hunt and hunt !

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jiggy said:

In other words the U.K. And Irish kennel club was spoiled a long time ago. The French kennel club are still in charge of the hound packs and hunts and terrier groups. ( the way it should be)

I wish you are right !
But we have some risks too... Glory and money !

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "chien terrier coupe champion"

Thanks to Google  ! I just find this link to a canadian club and his Master Earthdog. I'm not teasing... 

http://www.rideauterrier.com/earth-dog.html

Master Earthdog (ME) 

Master Earthdog is the ultimate title an earthdog can obtain. To achieve this title, two dogs are drawn at random. As a brace, the dogs hunt for the tunnel entrance from a distance of 100 to 300 yd (91 to 270 m). They must actively indicate where the tunnel entrance is located. Then, one at a time, the dogs move through the tunnel passing obstacles that simulate roots and constrictions in the tunnel. The master tunnel also has a false entrance/exit and a false den. Once at the quarry, dog must work the rats for 90 seconds and not be distracted by the judge scraping or digging alongside the tunnel. The scraping is meant to approximate the hunter digging down to the spot where the dog is holding the quarry at bay. The handler has 15 seconds to remove the dog from the tunnel after their 90 seconds of work is complete. Each dog is also judged on how well they "honor". While one dog is in the tunnel working, the other dog is staked out near the tunnel. The honor dog must show interest but must not make so much noise the judge cannot hear the dog working in the tunnel. Four passes under three different judges is required for a Master Earthdog title.

90 seconds. May be funny but definitevely too far from earth work. it's time to try dog dancing.

Edited by Blaise
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Mr. Mxyzptlk said:

Some guy  told me that the jagd terriers in someplace in Europe had a dogwarden that comes to inspect a new litter.If the new pups don't meet certain standards they get culled on the spot.

Never heard such a practise.
How could you judge puppies ?

On 5/2/2018 at 17:14, Blaise said:

I wish you are right !
But we have some risks too... Glory and money !

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "chien terrier coupe champion"

On 5/2/2018 at 17:20, Mr. Mxyzptlk said:

Some guy  told me that the jagd terriers in someplace in Europe had a dogwarden that comes to inspect a new litter.If the new pups don't meet certain standards they get culled on the spot.

So they kill them at 8 weeks old then. At least let them get to 12 weeks before making decisions like that.????

Edited by jiggy

I think mr.multiple  personalities should just start his own thread even his own site and really have a good chat with himself and his multiple usernames and eventually he might even emerge with just the one and stick to it.