thinking of letting the photon go

3 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

WHEN I FIRST GOT IT I CAME ACROSS ONE RABBIT IN THE FARM CAR PARK TOOK SIX SHOTS AT IT

I MISS JUDGED THE DISTANCE .(thats my problem with nv,s)

WENT BACK TO THE TANK AND CHANGED RIFLES WITH THE LAMP FITTED WENT BACK TO THE CAR PARK AND WHACKED THE RABBIT ONE SHOT ONE KILL LOL

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I have to say I agree with the distance thing. With NV it’s such an absolute bitch to judge the distance of almost anything. I guess it takes time to get used to but man it’s difficult. 

9 minutes ago, villaman said:

Never had a problem with Pulsar N550 or N970lrf  , can't get on with the TV screen  NV units like the nite shit ones 

Some are saying about the glow from  IR but more red light  come from a lamp !! 

The one that works for you is always the one to go and stick with.  Not in the correct mind set then even if one says the kit is supper dooper it will  be as useless as having a Bank on the moon. 
In just my opinion that is

Good hunting VM mate and all the very best for you and yours

Edited by just-A-snap
18 minutes ago, villaman said:

Never had a problem with Pulsar N550 or N970lrf  , can't get on with the TV screen  NV units like the nite shit ones 

Some are saying about the glow from  IR but more red light  come from a lamp !! 

Agreed, I'm a pulsar man through and through, and I've owned and used a hell of a lot of Nv units over the years. I also hate those bloody screen type things, like mac, I've spent too long looking through a scope to now sit and watch a screen, and I never liked how your face is illuminated with them, my mate stands out from a field away when using his !

Personally, I would never go back to a lamp, but each to their own.

The red glow is a give away, but not as bad as some may think,  it all comes down to them associating red glow with been shot, same as been lamp shy, one thing I do, have gun pointing upwards when I switch on, and lower rifle gently into the target. I've sat looking at foxes ten yards away and they wasn't fazed in the slightest, they didn't associate it with been shot, for a few seconds anyway.........

Judging range with Nv comes down to two things, and two things only, experience, and knowing your perm. I've got the hang of it, and I know most of my perms like the back of my hand, plenty of daylight scouting, knowing trees and hedges, all the usual really, but I can normally judge within a couple of yards quite easy. Took a bloody long while though.

Now I just cheat and have a built in range finder.

• Like 2

I have not found the glare from the NiteSite screen to be a big problem to be honest and an nv rangefinder soon sorts any guess work. The new R_tec version allows the screen to be turned down independently to the is beam.

Phil

10 hours ago, Rabid said:

Agreed, I'm a pulsar man through and through, and I've owned and used a hell of a lot of Nv units over the years. I also hate those bloody screen type things, like mac, I've spent too long looking through a scope to now sit and watch a screen, and I never liked how your face is illuminated with them, my mate stands out from a field away when using his !

Personally, I would never go back to a lamp, but each to their own.

The red glow is a give away, but not as bad as some may think,  it all comes down to them associating red glow with been shot, same as been lamp shy, one thing I do, have gun pointing upwards when I switch on, and lower rifle gently into the target. I've sat looking at foxes ten yards away and they wasn't fazed in the slightest, they didn't associate it with been shot, for a few seconds anyway.........

Judging range with Nv comes down to two things, and two things only, experience, and knowing your perm. I've got the hang of it, and I know most of my perms like the back of my hand, plenty of daylight scouting, knowing trees and hedges, all the usual really, but I can normally judge within a couple of yards quite easy. Took a bloody long while though.

Now I just cheat and have a built in range finder.

The thing i have as well is i bought it for one perm

the factory's Rob

but i cant just turn up and shoot iv got to wait until they phone me

so it can be months before i get the chance to hit them

and its just going to sit in the cabinet until they phone 

i know my perms like the back of my hand as well every nook and cranny lol

but still have trouble range finding

some times even on the lamp mind i get close to bloody close at times lol

some of the lads think im going to pick them up and not bother shooting them lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

horses for corses jimmy... and not for everyone!

there perfect for rat bashing and to tell you the truth I enjoy lamping rabbits way more than using night vision!!

I might bag a few more with the nv but im far happier with a few off the lamp!

cheers for the ir:thumbs: ill see you Saturday!

atb si