Rabbit breeding for the table.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kept Newzealand  whites for pets as a younging but they kept escaping was ok thou my dad would let me use my pocket money to by more .It was years later that my mam told me about my dad taken the rabb

Them giant rabbits aren't very cost efficient apparently, the meat to bone ratio isn't very good and they grow slowly for the amount they eat.  Nz x Californian are meant to be the best and my ma

Spoken to a few people , I think price of feed going up and work involved makes lot of people give up.also think of space you need about 3 hutches 4ft long by about 2 ft . Then storing feed/bales of h

Posted Images

On 30/01/2018 at 12:07, jetro said:

Thinking of breeding rabbits for the table. 

Spoke to one man already who does it. And he was telling me it's a great supply of meat all year round. 

Does anyone on here do this or had done this on the past.

Atb j

I did it as a kid, ended up doing a couple of thousand a yr, used to sell the skins as well, was a nice little earner for an 8yr old.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

i used to breed new zealand whites cross californian, and  i used a dutch buck sometimes because dutch have good meat ratio to bone and they mature really quickly,   as for food it never cost me a penny for food or litter what i would do was take a metal hook and collect hogweed ,dandilions ,clover and vetch in an unpolluted area, for the litter i would collect the dead dry reeds from down the marshes,they would also eat a certain amount of this ,  i never had any problems with my rabbits and when they were gutted the fat around the kidneys would be snow white and lovely healthy kidneys

• Like 2