Drainage for kennels

48 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I always thought that but my pal been at his house for 17 year an soaknaway never failed him but he is sort to do things right am I know he filled it with all varying size stuff an adds summat that eat bacteria or summat sounds it is possible 

I am wanting to do it right mate. Just in the process of moving This is my family home now for a good many years.

• Like 1

hi trigger2 soakaways r ok if you strictly put no waste down, its very tempting to put shite down and once in the habit of doing so over time they be come silted up.and horrendous to put right again.but just to wash runs down will be ok.

• Like 4

a standard size soakaway is 1cubic metre filled with rubble with your drain inserted about 12 inches minimum down  into one of the sides,this is then capped of with a waterproof membrane topped with concrete under any required surface.soakaway baskets can be used and terram meshing [its all down to clay  sand  chalk  soil conditions and budget]

• Like 2

If you are going to do a soakaway you want to an accessible trap with the fines gauge removable trap as possible as dog hair is one of the worst things going for blocking soakaways also depending on the soil type where it's going dig it as large as possible with as much cover as possible.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, downsouth said:

If you are going to do a soakaway you want to an accessible trap with the fines gauge removable trap as possible as dog hair is one of the worst things going for blocking soakaways also depending on the soil type where it's going dig it as large as possible with as much cover as possible.

Will do thanks. You got any suggestion on how to design a trap or can I buy one and fit it between the kennel and soak away.

4 hours ago, trigger2 said:

Will do thanks. You got any suggestion on how to design a trap or can I buy one and fit it between the kennel and soak away.

My pal had a soakaway on his kennels that he ended up digging up 3 times because it blocking up so what we did was outside of the kennels we cut into the pipe leading to the soakaway and fitted a 12" inspection chamber with an airtight lid.He then managed to get some stainless sheet metal with loads of really tiny holes and a pal of ours that's a fabricator made a 4" cylinder with one end on it that my mate would slide into the outlet of the chamber.Every couple of days my mate would lift the lid and pull out the little trap and it would be full of hair.That was off of 2 smooth lurchers.It won't take long with that much hair hitting the hardcore at the end of the pipe before it becomes completely jammed up.digging up a soakaway that's took nothing but waste from a couple of kennels ain't a pleasant job.

• Like 1