Brown bread

Never seen the point of feeding brown bread myself in this day and age. Most greyhound trainers feed complete these days. And usually just some meat. 90% of greyhounds are probably fed this way now. And in my opinion there' a reason times have got faster at the tracks over the years down to balanced diets that have been studied in the lab. Not just Joe blog who throws in a bit of this and a bit of that into the dogs bowl. Just my opinion

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f'&@k me I thought this was going to be another thread about some ones dog dying 

One thing I've noticed ,some think more about their dogs diet than they do their own ,? and unless you are working a dog so hard that it gets the wobbles most dogs will do well in most stuff.  Quite r

Every morning as far back as I remember, im up around 5 ish, out comes two frying pans, and I do missen a stonker of a breakfast, dog at my side, tongue dragging on the floor, I do missen 2 eggs, but

I completely agree - If you want a fast dog follow science. But I wouldn't worry about feeding an exact diet if you have a normal running dog and aren't bothered about track times.  

What is important is running dogs, in particular large greyhounds, need carbohydrates to perform as part of a balanced diet. For the record is doesn't have to be brown bread - any bread will do. 

5 minutes ago, CARADOCMICK said:

Never seen the point of feeding brown bread myself in this day and age. Most greyhound trainers feed complete these days. And usually just some meat. 90% of greyhounds are probably fed this way now. And in my opinion there' a reason times have got faster at the tracks over the years down to balanced diets that have been studied in the lab. Not just Joe blog who throws in a bit of this and a bit of that into the dogs bowl. Just my opinion

A lot of trainers still feed a lot of meat. A lot of TOP trainers feed a lot drugs. Lol. 

• Haha 1

I was feeding my dog on a pmr diet up until a month ago. Just meat, bones, offal and a bit of oil. In between lamping I keep him fit by sprinting him with a weighted collar on. Although very fit, he became a bit too boney, even though he was on 600g a day and weighs 11.5kg.

So for a change, he’s been getting minced tripe/chicken/beef with csj complete tripe and a slice of whole meal toast twice a day. He’s piled the muscle back on, very happy with his condition and energy levels. Back to meat and bones end of the season.

14 hours ago, Black neck said:

So is an all meat diet not good 

Depends lol.

Back in 2009 i wrote this,

Lastly there is the dietary effects on performance, feeding a raw only diet will give little in the way of adjustability, it may well suit the lifestyle of a wolf but not so the modern dog. Modern domestic dogs perform a great variety of jobs from the extremes of a long distance sled dog racing over hundreds of kilometres to that of a greyhound sprinting over 500mertres and their dietary needs will vary accordingly (Wakshlag et al). One problem is in the amount of protein, and this goes with high protein completes as well as RAW. Various authors including Kronk and Hill et al state that greyhounds run fastest on medium protein diets and Hill suggests, 25% protein, 30% fat and 45% carbs, whereas long distance huskies will need high fat, higher protein and only minimal carbohydrate, such as 35% protein, 45% fat and only 20% carbs. These authors suggest that increasing dietary protein to the greyhounds slowed racing. Hill suggest that carbs are useful as a recovery aid to restock glucose stores more efficiently and faster than is possible through protein and fat alone in sprint type dogs and Wakshlag goes further in suggesting that sprint type sledge dogs would also benefit from the addition of carb replenishment to aid faster recovery. The carbs that are being advocated are not available in a raw only diet, although as stated are probably part of a wolfs diet, and to exclude them would be rather like excluding an energy/electrolyte drink to Paula Radcliff because it's not 'natural' although it will decrease race times and aid in her recovery process.

Lots of ramblings from back along.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
30 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Depends lol.

Lastly there is the dietary effects on performance, feeding a raw only diet will give little in the way of adjustability, it may well suit the lifestyle of a wolf but not so the modern dog. Modern domestic dogs perform a great variety of jobs from the extremes of a long distance sled dog racing over hundreds of kilometres to that of a greyhound sprinting over 500mertres and their dietary needs will vary accordingly (Wakshlag et al). One problem is in the amount of protein, and this goes with high protein completes as well as RAW. Various authors including Kronk and Hill et al state that greyhounds run fastest on medium protein diets and Hill suggests, 25% protein, 30% fat and 45% carbs, whereas long distance huskies will need high fat, higher protein and only minimal carbohydrate, such as 35% protein, 45% fat and only 20% carbs. These authors suggest that increasing dietary protein to the greyhounds slowed racing. Hill suggest that carbs are useful as a recovery aid to restock glucose stores more efficiently and faster than is possible through protein and fat alone in sprint type dogs and Wakshlag goes further in suggesting that sprint type sledge dogs would also benefit from the addition of carb replenishment to aid faster recovery. The carbs that are being advocated are not available in a raw only diet, although as stated are probably part of a wolfs diet, and to exclude them would be rather like excluding an energy/electrolyte drink to Paula Radcliff because it's not 'natural' although it will decrease race times and aid in her recovery process.

Interesting stuff. I enjoy reading about nutrition for performance. In terms of the % make up of a greyhounds diet for instance, have you ever gone into macros? Like in bodybuilding, diets are worked out as grams per pound of body weight, or calories per pound of body weight. What sort of calories does a racing greyhound require daily?

6 hours ago, sandymere said:

Depends lol.

Sorry brother non the wiser 

20 hours ago, MikeyMJL said:

Interesting stuff. I enjoy reading about nutrition for performance. In terms of the % make up of a greyhounds diet for instance, have you ever gone into macros? Like in bodybuilding, diets are worked out as grams per pound of body weight, or calories per pound of body weight. What sort of calories does a racing greyhound require daily?

No hard and fast rule, would depend on exercise, size, age, personality, temperature............:thumbs:

15 hours ago, Black neck said:

Sorry brother non the wiser 

Perhaps your question needs to be better framed to get the answer your looking for ie is a meat only diet the best diet for lamping dogs, coursers, pets etc rather than is it a good diet generaly because the answers will be different for each.