Brown bread

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f'&@k me I thought this was going to be another thread about some ones dog dying 

One thing I've noticed ,some think more about their dogs diet than they do their own ,? and unless you are working a dog so hard that it gets the wobbles most dogs will do well in most stuff.  Quite r

Every morning as far back as I remember, im up around 5 ish, out comes two frying pans, and I do missen a stonker of a breakfast, dog at my side, tongue dragging on the floor, I do missen 2 eggs, but

Every morning as far back as I remember, im up around 5 ish, out comes two frying pans, and I do missen a stonker of a breakfast, dog at my side, tongue dragging on the floor, I do missen 2 eggs, but sometimes, as im shovelling one of the eggs to my plate, it hits the deck, so being the gentleman I am, out comes the hovis and she gets the egg mixed up wi 2 rounds, eh, good lad I am

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Anyone know why bread spose to be good were always told cereal was no good 

Fashion.

Historically brown bred was easily available and cheap from bakers as day old stale. I used to buy it from a local baker as the day old stale stuff that didn't get sold. 10p a loaf, I would get 6 or 7 and stick em in the oven to dry off and they would keep for the week, Broken up and moistened  mixed with some meat etc was basically just like a dog biscuit for my racing dogs.

Then gluten became the bad boy for the worried well and Barf became fashionable in the dog world, when the two mixed the urban myth started that dogs can't digest gluten or cereal, and that it caused allergies etc etc silly because of course they can digest it and it is very rare for a dog to have a true gluten allergy.

Today lots of people continue to use various forms of cereal in their dogs diet in various forms such as Pasta, dog biscuits, brown bread or as an ingredient in completes and their dogs do very well.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

He also said that the redmills racer 27% was too high in protein when mixed with flesh and chicken which I agree with but wasn't sure how much brown bread to be feeding 

Imagine you are adding dog biscuits, that sort of volume, say a quarter to a third of the total volume,  then monitor the dogs condition.

5 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Fashion.

Historically brown bred was easily available and cheap from bakers as day old stale. I used to buy it from a local baker as the day old stale stuff that didn't get sold. 10p a loaf, I would get 6 or 7 and stick em in the oven to dry off and they would keep for the week, Broken up and moistened  mixed with some meat etc was basically just like a dog biscuit for my racing dogs.

Then gluten became the bad boy for the worried well and Barf became fashionable in the dog world, when the two mixed the urban myth started that dogs can't digest gluten or cereal, and that it caused allergies etc etc silly because of course they can digest it and it is very rare for a dog to have a true gluten allergy.

Today lots of people continue to use various forms of cereal in their dogs diet in various forms such as Pasta, dog biscuits, brown bread or as an ingredient in completes and their dogs do very well.

I see so just the same as meat and complete grub then I use that minced lamb necks and greyhound racing biscuit cheap stuff like and pilchaaaaards 

• Like 1

When I was a young boy,...many of our sheepdogs, existed on a kinda gruel /stew broth,..cooked up in a big old metal pot...:yes:

The Pig farms usually had a monopoly on the bakers waste, but we usually managed to get a big load of stale brown loafs.

Our dogs were worked hard...very hard... :laugh:

Even today, I would still allow the dogs to have a few old crusts, with their raw meat and oily fish,...

Not really into the scientific feeding of lurchers,..maybe I would be if I was a racing man or a serious coursing enthusiast, but, I'm not...:thumbs:

• Like 1