Rat Patrol January 2018

These posts are spaced out a bit because I have to find an evening when I am not doing anything important the next day. I feel like i have been up all night...yawn..

As it was, I was out between 11.30pm and 2am and it felt really cold.

I had put up a wind break and was sat on a dry pallet but it wasn't exactly comfy.

There have been a few more holes round the 'safe house' in the duck run. The safe house is a square shed, with a run attached to the back. So far rats can't get in to the run as it has a wire mesh base, I put the soil back on top of it.  But you can see where they have been trying. The shed is lined with straw so it must be quite cosy underneath. 

I have been putting poison down the tunnels, then sealing off with a big stone.

Anyway, back to topic.  I was using a .22 HW100 KT with a Yukon Photon night sight.

I only saw the one rat all night. A big bugg*r. It ran up and down the gap between the shed and the fence, then stopped to do some stretching exercises. 

So I helped its weight training with an Air Arms Diabolo Fieldin the heart/lung area. It rolled over a bit then was motionless.

Big Fat Rat.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

I always find 'engine-room' shots effective on rats at sensible ranges with sub 12lb

It's odd because most filmed footage shows only head shots.

Yes, I had noticed that. Then they ping around doing their death throws. Or shoot them in the chest and they roll over.

If you find the rats are reluctant to show their selves put down some wooden pallets. Rats don't like being out in the open, owls an' shit, but if there are pallets they'll feel safe under them and you can still get a good shot at them. As for shot placement I'll shoot them anywhere from the rib cage up. As long as they die that's the main thing, after all I'm there to kill as many as possible as quick as possible. If they eat poison it'll take a week or more before they die so it's still more humane.

well done mate  engine room is best place to hit them   imho & i have found  the same with squirrels as  i was hitting a few in head and them being "little Arnold schwartniger" I'm sure they just  "headed" the pellet  back at me! lol  both rats and squirrels are tough  little buggers