Pup caught on barbed wire fence

As you say don it takes a long time to heal if not stitched and it will run the risk of having a further muscle tear when stress is put on the muscle in the future ... strange the vet wouldn't treat it ... I had a similar injury a few years ago and my vet couldn't get to the surgery for a few hours due to being stuck at a farm but when he did he internally and externally stitched the wound which healed completely ........ 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonnyt said:

Out a walk about a hour ago and my pup took off after a rabbit she tried to jump a barbed wire fence unfortunately got caught and ripped the inside of here leg. Need some advice do you think she’s needs vet i think she maybe could do with a stitch or two but don’t want to be robbed. What’s do you think lads? It’s about a inc long I have cleaned it with salt water since photo was takin Much appreciated?

AF2F2BDB-3BB4-4034-897C-D9DD310EFEEB.jpeg

if its only an inch long including the skin,keep it clean and put sugar on it at least twice a day you won't believe the difference in a few days,most vets are there to rob you,try it

4 minutes ago, socks said:

The length of a cut can be immaterial it's the depth that's more concerning with that wound .... 

yes but not in this case ,it was done on barbwire so the cut can not be that deep, theres a good chance its the swelling that makes it looks worse than what it is, sugar is unbelievable ,it help to pull the muscle together,

I agree with the sugar it's very similar to how honey works and I've used it myself a few times ...... but due to which muscle that wound is on it's easy to go real deep with only a small tear ... it's a very powerful muscle which has large fibres which open easily ........

The biggest problem, apart from infection which is almost a given in a wound full of mud, is that if the muscle isn't stitched and just allowed to heal on its own,  more scar tissue will form than if there were stitches, which could well hamper the dog's running once it's healed. Fine to staple skin tears on a relatively clean wound, but I've always used the vet if the muscle has been damaged.

• Like 2

First thing I always do, is to flush the wound out with Hibiscrub,...get everything clean and pink,.let the dog see the rabbit kinda thing,.. then, you have to make the decision as to whether your needle will be adequate, or you need the services of an experienced hand.  As hunting men,...(well, in my case, a former hunting man :laugh: ) it is essential to seek out Veterinary Surgeons that have a penchant towards the running dog,..most vets can throw a reasonable stitch, but a knowledgeable eye is always better. 

I've got a bitch here at the moment that I've been blistering and resting up, for quite some time,..but all to no avail,..so,.I am heading London way on Wednesday,..to see a man about a dog... I feel as enthusiasts of the working canine, it behooves us all to become educated in the care and maintenance of our wee pals...

Good luck with your jukel's injury jonnyt...:thumbs:

• Like 4

The fella seems to have little experience with wounds ,so if no one close can help its either learn  or vets personally flush flush flush it will heal just takes longer  it's no big deal I can see the concern of depth put straight deep punctures are the naughty ones. And that I feel only shallow ,swelling has come up round the wound to protect the entrance of the wound .atb bunnys

• Like 1

Clean clean clean as has been said. Make sure it's well flushed out, even sticking a nozzle in there and spray oxy water in hard will do good. Then vets, that muscle tear will probs need pulling together for the sake of the dog later on ;)

If you have any in-date capsule antibiotics about (cefalaxin or another rainbow spec are best) split one and dust the wound a few times a day until it scabs. It'll look manky but it'll help keep any infection at bay and save you a full oral course ?

Ps that will weep and ooze like fec, make sure the vet leaves a hole for drainage ;)

Best advice would be ,If you are not sure I'd always get to the vets ,too many feck about and then end up going to the vets in the end anyways.

Looks a lot worse on you if you've let it get rotten because of not doing anything ,and then it costs treble.

Different if you are competent at stitching / medication.

• Like 1