Ok, no need to make a scene!

It's been a lousy week, predjudice at work from blokes with more faces than a town clock and a hole range of cutlery for when your back is turned! That and the lingering swine flue I succumbed!

The wet morning didn't help so I gave in and went to nitro!!

Yes on the last Saturday of pheasant season I reached for a back stuffer and my cartridge belt, of which by the way gave me a pleasant surprise!

Last time I used it it was a tight fit and on the last buckle hole but not today, no the second to last buckle hole today. That brought a smile to my face.

Jess worked a rabbit first which was fun but I let it go as there is not many about.

I was soon missing the woodcock, that's normal for me but a short while later and Jess, to far forward like normal lifted a cock bird which flew at speed over the trees towards me and I connected.

IMG_20180127_103528056.jpg

As I headed towards where a friend was shooting Jess sprang a woodcock up from a ditch, it turned with the wind and at something like thirty yards shot. Down came my first and last woodcock this season. I got my friend a short while later to take the photo.

IMG_20180127_105321043.jpg

After a brief chat with Tom and several shots at chinking woodies we parted company.

The long way home was pretty much uneventful except with a cartridge Tom gave me, a hull high pheasant extreme thingy ma Bob, a cock bird lept from a sparse fence line and at a full forty plus yards the left to right bird crumpled.

IMG_20180127_122004050_HDR.jpg

So there you go, I used nitro instead of black powder. They kind of work and can see how they became popular but tomorrow I may just have to burn some black powder so I can sleep again.

U.

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice going. Not a bad last day. Looking at your pics made me wonder what has happened to lovely lady member who, 2 years ago was making very nice wreaths from game bird feathers. She was on here quite a lot. ??.Jok.

Take no notice of the clods at work. You always encounter a load of Muppets anywhere. What you have is the ability to get out in the fresh air with the dog. Beware though of the knives it can be death by a thousand cuts.

Ps. What gun is it? Cosmos or webley?  Meaty barrel.

Edited by Meece
39 minutes ago, Meece said:

Take no notice of the clods at work. You always encounter a load of Muppets anywhere. What you have is the ability to get out in the fresh air with the dog. Beware though of the knives it can be death by a thousand cuts.

Ps. What gun is it? Cosmos or webley?  Meaty barrel.

Thanks buddy.

Yes a cosmos, fits lovely. I need to open the choke up really! I will borrow an adjustable reamer one day.

U.

I dont know why but I always fancied having a cosmos. I've got loads of very nice guns and I would never use it, but I still fancy having one. I suppose that it strikes back to my teens when I had a single barrel BSA Snipe. It was a cheapo gun but I shot very well with it.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1