How much bagging in a stop net?

I'm making a couple of narrow, short stop nets to get through hedges to block them off and want to make sure I leave enough meat in them to catch but not to the extent of being too baggy so, how much bagging horizontally & vertically is considered optimal? 

I was going to go for +50% on height and width but don't want to be too premature in cutting down the sheet of netting I've got. 

How many mesh high are you ? If you have had the netting from advance netting then it’s the correct hight and as for bagging I found for me it’s 100% bagging every time as I had a lot bounce off and go back in set causing a dig . I had 5 yard stop nets with 10 yard of net on set at abit of an angle toward the hedge and found they caught better than if just straight 

40 minutes ago, Jax13 said:

This is for going through side to side rather than along so will probably only be about a foot / 18 inch tall (will adjust the height with the grommets to get it under) 

Yea I get what you mean mate when you put it through the hedge put it through at a bit of an angle I find that it. Catches better  than if just put strait .  

I just don't lol

39683589561_0d306f6072_c.jpg

But when I can I find what navek says is good an angle helps. Very hard to get slack sorted in the thick of it any way but it is just a case of slowing things down to help the dog at times 

The rabbit got out of this and the dog was on a lead because of a road. But the plan was a good one. I left it slack so it would collapse over the rabbit when it hit it. Sort of worked and he was held for a bit

31388533815_34d8aaa313_c.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

I see what you mean now navek, cheers. 

It's a cheap project - 2m x 6m netting (to be cut down, obviously) was only a tenner, 9 quid for 9 tent poles, 3 quid for grommets and I've plenty of drawcord in the box to run them out. 

You cut them with 50 % bagging you can only use them for one job breaking up hedge lines   , you give the 100% bagging you can use them for other jobs up to you if you want and have the storage for selective nets , i just use a short stop net for most jobs  bought it off the bay came with carpet runners for poles binned them and shortened  the length for extra bagging handy  for going threw hedges and covering gaps  while beating out rough bits with the dogs 

I only need them for cutting off hedges, there are one or two farms we work where the Warren's run the entire length which can be a couple of hundred yards minimum and we always tend to start at a gate and push everything down or flush it out as we work it.

A certain amount can be purse netted but you are in the realms of needing around 5 nets per yard, per side which becomes ridicous over even a 50 yard stretch, couple this with now running 2 dogs (when one of them isn't broken) a d I'm trying to purse net less and less which is making boxing off sections of Warren more important to avoid losing them along the hedges which can be pretty thick and difficult for the dogs to get under  on a bolt