bow hunting.

5 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

that level of familiarity between rifle and compound breeds neglect?

Yeah and I worded it very poorly.

Most of the compound bows I hear/know about are stashed under people's beds because they couldn't fill an archery tag. They're like home exercise equipment. They buy them a week before archery season and expect to harvest a deer without any practice because they've been lead to believe that they're easy. When wifey finds they're not being used they're usually up on Craigslist for the next season and then the pattern repeats itself with the bargain hunters.

As a result, fewer deer tags are getting filled this end. The good news with that is that if you're decent with a bow you can harvest deer annually if you're willing to travel and not rely on the states lottery system. While compounds have a technological advantage for the modern hunter, being able to hit the vitals is still paramount. That you can't dial in if you're just picking one up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why? A well placed arrow kills as quick as a well placed bullet. The only exception being head shots and if you can induce hydrostatic shock. The UK isn't as crowded as you think it is. Fact is a

Banned for cruelty in the sixties. Wrapped up in the 81 Wildlife and Countryside Act. I saw some horrible footage from the 70's that was used to cement the ban. I used to agree that it was pretty crue

I bought myself a starter rig back in the summer. Not used it much since as I've been busy with the shooting season. They're very enjoyable just target shooting, much more so than a rifle imo but mayb

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

The biggest issue with archery over here, IMHO, is the lack of time people spend practising. Whatever bow you use shot placement is crucial and with today's compound bows there's a serious risk of not taking something clean.

I was in my local archery range last week,mention bowhunting in there and you get disapproving glances,one of britains decent walk in archery stores but the people on the range out the back are target only,thousand quid spent on a compound and kit and they are happy on a 20 metre range for their hourly session each week,out front they don't stock broadheads,got a decent number of recurves in,small number of in-stock compounds,its contents would be pretty shabby by north American bowshop standards.

19 hours ago, mackem said:

I was in my local archery range last week,mention bowhunting in there and you get disapproving glances,one of britains decent walk in archery stores but the people on the range out the back are target only,thousand quid spent on a compound and kit and they are happy on a 20 metre range for their hourly session each week,out front they don't stock broadheads,got a decent number of recurves in,small number of in-stock compounds,its contents would be pretty shabby by north American bowshop standards.

It's a lot like air-gunning in that respect. They'll literally spend thousands to shoot at paper targets and that's fine if that's what you're into but the video posted next is one of the main reasons why it'll never come back. I understand that the guy was stoked by his hunt but it's the age-old question of why give them the ammunition? We've seen that argument played out on this very forum over the years. Granted there is a lot more protection this end but we all know that victories are temporary whereas defeat is usually permanent.

17 hours ago, jetro said:

Can you buy a crossbow over the counter in the UK without a fire arm licence . 

Atb j 

Buying them is,nt the problem, they just are,nt very discreet to carry around, and everyone can't wait to phone the police in this country, but were there's a will there's a way post-102539-0-27419400-1479552286_thumb.jpgimage.jpeg.78753a47ca60e0abaaa0e47e14918285.jpeg 

• Like 1

very nice and clever greyman. what range can you get out of it. also how accurate is it.

not worried about the discreet part, its just getting one over to here.

thought about getting one brought over from the states but i dont i could get through customs.

atb j.

4 minutes ago, jetro said:

very nice and clever greyman. what range can you get out of it. also how accurate is it.

not worried about the discreet part, its just getting one over to here.

thought about getting one brought over from the states but i dont i could get through customs.

atb j.

Best to put sling bow into YouTube mate and have a look on there, check out chief aj, he claims to have dropped a grizzly with one, don't know how true it is but plenty taking pigs with them and shooting targets, I can hit things quite consistently  out to 20/25 yards but like all forms of primitive hunting the more you practice the better, I quite fancy making myself an atlatl this summer it's the ultimate in primitive hunting tech 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 22/01/2018 at 20:45, kanny said:

On 23/01/2018 at 13:54, ChrisJones said:

Gentlemen, I can see both sides of the coin with this one. Done the right way it's a legit exercise but they're unlikely to repeal the 81 statutes for the same reasons they put it in place. You only have to look at the link earlier in the thread to see what w*nk*rs and archery gear look like and that's the same on this end of the Atlantic too. As we've seen though no amount of legal regulation will stop the pleb factor.

It's a shame when you look at the pedigree of English archers. We went from dominating the battlefield to a nation of scared children in two generations. You'd think it would be something to be celebrated but instead, it's another tradition confined to the dustbin. At least you can play the game on your iProduct until they ban that in case it scares the kids or offends someone...

On 23/01/2018 at 14:46, ChrisJones said:

Yeah and I worded it very poorly.

Most of the compound bows I hear/know about are stashed under people's beds because they couldn't fill an archery tag. They're like home exercise equipment. They buy them a week before archery season and expect to harvest a deer without any practice because they've been lead to believe that they're easy. When wifey finds they're not being used they're usually up on Craigslist for the next season and then the pattern repeats itself with the bargain hunters.

As a result, fewer deer tags are getting filled this end. The good news with that is that if you're decent with a bow you can harvest deer annually if you're willing to travel and not rely on the states lottery system. While compounds have a technological advantage for the modern hunter, being able to hit the vitals is still paramount. That you can't dial in if you're just picking one up.

From memory years ago there was a bit of a thing where you could buy Barnett wildcat , amongst other makes and kit crossbows out of the newspaper, exchange & Mart and various catalogues such as empire stores along with air rifles and shotguns . Longbows didn't seem to be used by Anyone and compound bows didn't exist. Crossbows were easy do aim and accurate but the bolts were just dlwel with steel tips. It was just a catalogue of bolts being fired off and disapearing over the horizon. And pictures like the swans in the link and cats and bullocks. The rspca got on the bandwagon  and the rest is history.   It was all a situation of accuracy and power. It might be ok to shoot a deer out in the wilds of America or Canada which might take a long time to bleed out and keel over but it wouldn't go down well in this crowded island. Dead is dead but it has to be quick and humane and an arrow doesn't fit the pattern. Although there is an amazing vid on YouTube where a bloke is shooting pigeons with a bow and arrow. 

When you can do this you have skill. 》》》

Guys called tim wells,incredible archer,nowadays he prefers to hunt with spears and blowguns,try and find the footage where he spears himself and thinks he is dying under a tree alone in Africa.