bow hunting.

14 minutes ago, greg64 said:

I agree with you born ,even in countrys where its legal its not a free for all and is highly regulated 

And could be easily done here too same as with any other fire arm.

If there were test or exams that would have to pass before you could hunt would be a great help as well.

And set only a certain amount of game you can take as well.

Atb j

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why? A well placed arrow kills as quick as a well placed bullet. The only exception being head shots and if you can induce hydrostatic shock. The UK isn't as crowded as you think it is. Fact is a

Banned for cruelty in the sixties. Wrapped up in the 81 Wildlife and Countryside Act. I saw some horrible footage from the 70's that was used to cement the ban. I used to agree that it was pretty crue

I bought myself a starter rig back in the summer. Not used it much since as I've been busy with the shooting season. They're very enjoyable just target shooting, much more so than a rifle imo but mayb

Posted Images

It was illegal for a very long time in France (called tir l'arc if you want to look it up) but now perfectly legal as long as you have a hunting license & then a bow hunting license. Ive got both. Yet to invest in a bow, ive got the tickets in place though as my bow hunting friends told me they are gonna toughen up on the bow hunting test. Have a long term plan to get a field trial set-up going. Busy for the foreseeable though. 

• Like 2

Gentlemen, I can see both sides of the coin with this one. Done the right way it's a legit exercise but they're unlikely to repeal the 81 statutes for the same reasons they put it in place. You only have to look at the link earlier in the thread to see what w*nk*rs and archery gear look like and that's the same on this end of the Atlantic too. As we've seen though no amount of legal regulation will stop the pleb factor.

It's a shame when you look at the pedigree of English archers. We went from dominating the battlefield to a nation of scared children in two generations. You'd think it would be something to be celebrated but instead, it's another tradition confined to the dustbin. At least you can play the game on your iProduct until they ban that in case it scares the kids or offends someone...

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I wouldn’t necessary agree with that born 

Yes, we do have bows in this country. Used primarily by fun archers, sportsmen and chavvy teens to impress their mates with one or twice. When I was a kid of 10 or 11I saw a lad leather a fox with one and the effect was pretty much what you’d imagine ! 

Luckily my lurcher was there to end it quickly 

But we don’t have is a skill set or the knowledge that can be passed down . 

What would happen would be four clowns in real tree trackies leaving arrows in the rump of every fallow theyvdrive past in thetford 

whilst the idea of it would appeal to those responsible enough to use them , the bow , in this country , would replace the air rifle As the number one idiot magnet in my eyes 

Okay I understand your thinking now. I just don't agree that the act of legalising bow hunting would have that effect. There's nothing stopping clowns with bows doing what they want now, and indeed they do as you said. I don't understand why legalising hunting would increase that sort of incident? Those same clowns aren't going to be out getting permission to bowhunt or pay for guided stalks, they'll carry on the same as they did before. IMO the whole process of legal bowhunting filters out the dickheads. Maybe by legitimising it it'd turn some of these wannabes to the right path.

If you're a dickhead with a bow who wants to muller a fallow in a drive-by, does it matter to you whether or not it's legal to get permission and hunt one legally? Will it affect your ilks actions in any way?

Personally, I feel equipped to take up bowhunting and I imagine a few hundred/thousand others would be too. I'm not pretending I'm some sort of bowhunting ninja, I'm not a bowhunting anything, but I've done enough to be confident in maintaining a necessary ethical standard.

It's all moot anyway but interesting to hear views.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

It’s the uk,we don’t have vast tracts of state owned ground 

Licenece to hunt where? In national parks? Don’t hold your breath 

Also Why should Ownership be regulated when it’s already legal? 

Already the argument is falling apart

Mate, if I can crack on with my 25-06 where I have permission I don't see why a bow and arrow is a no go?

Never mind national parks. Let's just keep it simple, permissions and commercial guided stalking. I think by licensing, it was meant like a DSC type certification.

Just now, BGD said:

Make it legal but only using traditional longbows no fancy compounds or crossbows, the draw weight alone should filter out most of the dickheads :D

If you want ethical standards then without doubt the compound bow should be the first to be considered. It has more in kin with a rifle than a trad bow, the skill set to shoot with precision is very similar.

4 minutes ago, BGD said:

Make it legal but only using traditional longbows no fancy compounds or crossbows, the draw weight alone should filter out most of the dickheads :D

just because your a big lad and can  draw a longbow doe;s not mean you can't  be a dickhead

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

The biggest issue with archery over here, IMHO, is the lack of time people spend practising. Whatever bow you use shot placement is crucial and with today's compound bows there's a serious risk of not taking something clean.

I get the shot placement comment but why would using a compound bow have a greater risk of not making a clean shot

1 minute ago, greg64 said:

I get the shot placement comment but why would using a compound bow have a greater risk of not making a clean shot

My previous comment doesn't read very well in hindsight. It was more to do with the skill of the archer than the equipment. It's because of the compound bow that most lads this end think they can just pick them up and harvest deer with them. That they're like rifles when there is still a skillset with them. They think that the cams make up for the fact that they're not archers due to the marketing.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

My previous comment doesn't read very well in hindsight. It was more to do with the skill of the archer than the equipment. It's because of the compound bow that most lads this end think they can just pick them up and harvest deer with them. That they're like rifles when there is still a skillset with them. They think that the cams make up for the fact that they're not archers due to the marketing.

I can only speak from my limited experience but coming from a rifle background I found handling a compound bow far more natural than a trad bow. Likewise it was comical handing my mate, an experienced archer, my compound. Totally alien for him to shoot.

You've got a trigger, sights, follow through etc. No doubt the compound has it's own skillset and as you say you can't just pick one up and hit the tree stand but I personally find it very similar to a rifle.

But maybe that's what you're getting at? that level of familiarity between rifle and compound breeds neglect? You're absolutely right though, as similar as they are you need to have done your range time, be totally comfortable and familiar with your weapon and be experienced, or at least knowledgeable, on where the stabby thing goes in to the bambi.