4 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

I was only thinking thursday i could do with a vac packer but never thought they'd be that cheap.

Commercial machines go for over a £1000, £6/700 secondhand. I bid on a machine up to £1100 on ebay, it was a £2600 machine and it had a "buy it now" price of £1500. So glad I didn't win it, this little thing here perfect for what I'm doing at the mo. I reckon I've done over 300 packets now with no problems, bags are a little expensive on the home vac models  and they are a bit slow.  

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Showing my stupidity,  how do the bags work, I mean, do you buy different size bags depending what your doing

Yes, they are different sizes for different sized applications. I use the Reber ones, again they are not cheap but they are thick and strong. One side is smooth and the other side is embossed to allow the outflow of air and the vacuum to be created. I believe that the extra cost is worthwhile as it's not something you use all the time with charcuterie and meat preparation but when needed it is reassuring to have the tools to do the job.

You can buy smooth sided bags more cheaply but they are generally for use with commercial machines and won't work properly on machines intended to be used with embossed bags. 

1 hour ago, Mister Gain said:

Yes, they are different sizes for different sized applications. I use the Reber ones, again they are not cheap but they are thick and strong. One side is smooth and the other side is embossed to allow the outflow of air and the vacuum to be created. I believe that the extra cost is worthwhile as it's not something you use all the time with charcuterie and meat preparation but when needed it is reassuring to have the tools to do the job.

You can buy smooth sided bags more cheaply but they are generally for use with commercial machines and won't work properly on machines intended to be used with embossed bags. 

Thanks, been looking for the Reber machines, they all seem to be abroad and not in the uk.

Been meaning to get one next time they show in lidl or aldi. On another note the daughter got me cheap freezer bags from home bargains or some where and the amount of times they have burst when lifting a bag of runners out the freezer. They are like paper who ever made them should be tarred and feathered :angry:

17 minutes ago, leegreen said:

You can get bags or rolls that you can cut and seal to your desired length.  I'm using rolls more, it gives me the variation of size needed.

I think the cost is a big thing as I use loads.

Yes, I think I will be using a lot more than the average household so need to keep it cost effective where possible.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Rabid said:

Thanks, been looking for the Reber machines, they all seem to be abroad and not in the uk.

It might be worth ringing this company, http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Vacuum_Packing_Machines.html , they used to be based in Bolton, UK. They appear to do a Reber and one of the cheaper ones.

Phone: 0845 643 6915

Fax: 0845 643 6912

Email: sales@sausagemaking.org

• Like 1

Most commonly available ones I see are from FoodSaver. We get them in dollars but if you're near a Costco they always seem to carry the bags and rolls and they're certainly well priced. If you've lost meat to freezer burn you'll quickly recoup the cost.

I also vacuum seal shotgun shells to keep in my bags.

• Like 1