Pups first rats

Hiya lads. As stated previously I'm new to terriers and lost my young one to being run over a few months back. I now have a Patterdale pup I saved and a lakeland I got as a small pup. Patterdale is about a year now and my lakey about 8 months. Rabbits are non existent here. Got a permission on a chicken farm before Xmas and had no luck. Went back yesterday, bolted 4 rats and caught two. Was great seeing the dogs going and my first go with the rats. I'm learning alot from them. Here is a photo but the little girl ate the first one before I could get it from her. I thought the farm would be dead again being only four weeks since I last went but they have obviously been breeding. So this is my first successful day it with terriers. Not alot to some on here, but I am very pleased. 

DSC_0374.JPG

DSC_0376.JPG

• Like 13

Cheers guys. As I say I'm new to the dog side of it so they're teaching me. I've always just ferreted really but I decided best to leave what little rabbits are left around here. Just do a bit of pheasant bashing in the winter now and my new focus is the dogs. I'll just keep looking for bits of ground for the time being, I'm always out with these pair but took a while getting them going. However have had good time bonding with them and making sure they're happy pups. Not a bag of 100 rats but it may aswell be as I'm over the moon having got them at 10 weeks and now seeing them get their first kills. 

• Like 3

They were young rats we bolted a few out from different areas. I did wonder myself if it was a vole when we had the first one but definitely rats. I shall see about going over with a lamp the farmer did offer me the option funnily enough. Is it normal to work terriers on the lamp aswell lads on rats? Sorry if it sounds a daft one, I know next to nothing I'm a complete novice with terriers. 

Thanks Jerry and for the pm. I was a bit concerned as she looked quite bloated past two days but my missus just called and said the bitch had had a massive crap and she looks her normal proportions again. I will be alot more vigilant next time getting the rats from her. The Patterdale as no problem eating anything.