Harris hawk "lost"

Jerry71

Hi folks, I have seen a Harris hawk 3 times in two days while out with my whippets, the first time I thought it was a buzzard but getting closer I could see it was a large Harris, we were in some horse paddocks and he was sitting on a post. My whippet got within a couple of feet before he flew, I could see he had Jesse's on and he flew round me, I did try to whistle call him with my arm out using my wax coat as glove. He looked like he was going to come to hand but he flew past and away out of sight. So on with my walk, hour later we walked back same way,  it was raining now  and he was sitting in a tree next to stable, he ignored me totally. Next day we saw him again, sitting in a tree eating something but that was last time I saw him. I think he's got lost, escaped, Northants area. 

• 3 weeks later...

That's a coincidence: I came on to put up a post to say I spotted one sitting in a tree beside the Eastern Road in Portsmouth this afternoon. I too thought it was a buzzard at first until I noticed the colour was too uniform and the head/beak shape was a tad different. It's the second time I've seen one in the city but the previous one was about fifteen years ago and was sitting on a balcony near the city centre eyeing up the pigeons.

I was told a farmer found it in one of his barns and it went to a rescue, it had no tracker on but fella  who collected bird said it was well fed. I tried to get it to come to hand but even though it flew by me a few times he wasn't going to give freedom up so easy.