How to go about getting new permission?

Alright fellas I'm trying to sort some new perm out as the big farm I used to have I haven't got anymore due to the man dieing and his wife selling the place on. I've asked a few farms where I live now but they all say no. I'm trying to sort it now while pup is still young so that I can start him straight away when the time comes but it seems all but impossible to sort some land to lamp on. Is there a better way to ask? I normally introduce myself ask about the farm get into a friendly chat then drop it in but that just isn' working. Has anyone found a certain way works better? 

i would try the new owners of the farm once its sold on. just explain to them that you have always controlled the rabbit population on the farm and would it be possible to carry on.  if you have a good relationship with the couple that owned whilst you run your dog on there his wife might just put a word in for you with the new owners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just come straight out and ask. Would you mind if i did a bit of ferreting please then depending on there reaction have a chit chat. I also try and spit it out on one go. If I know they have live stock because of a bit of scouting :whistling:  Would you mind if i did a bit of ferreting please I will keep away from the horses, sheep etc so as not to disturb them. Then they know your considering there stock before they decide. Basically keep on knocking.  

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive found if you say you hsve a lurcher there straight on the defensive.i always say my sal/bull/grey is a whippet.farmers are much happier with a whippet than a lurcher and they don't know the difference as long as its smallish with a smooth coat.ask for ferreting 1st than ask to lamp.

• Haha 1

Do yourself a favour and go wherever you fancy as soon as they answer the door theyre on the defensive thinking your a gypo planning a burglary. the only farmer that lets me on is one who was into the dogs when younger but its hardly worth going as their is nothing much there.

• Thanks 1

Permission. What’s that. Only permission I need is off the missus and she gives me that most days so just get yourself out there. Get yourself some thermal so you can be a bit more discreet and your off. Or ask fox dropper hel tell you a nice spot down the m4. He don’t mind people poppin on there now and again. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Took me years to gain ferreting permission I’d ask and get told to piss off kindley it never stopped me though I used to ferret it any way  I used to dress smart and everything last season I thought feck this after work one day I rocked up at the farm in my scruffy work clothes asked for permission and was granted straight away I asked if I could bring my little whippet terrier his reply was what about the other two dogs ain’t you bringing them along as well you might as well........these land owners and land managers they know things ????After dark I go were I like nothing will ever stop that 

• Like 4

I've normally just gone on anyway but where I'm living now everyone knows everyone and if I was to get caught I'd have zero chance of anything close to home. I' surrounded by grass fields so don' want to mess it up. I've put something up on the ferret page on here to see if I can get any and get on that way after having a chat with the wife I can get a couple. Gave a sob story that everyone has ferrits because it' part and parcel of it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a bit of permission now about 15 mins from home I'm told mixy is there but I thought for pup that would be a bonus really. Going there with a friend who has guns aswell try and clear it of mixy and get some good bunnys with no mixy in the years to come 

• Like 2