Bloody Dogs

Well, Ive had a moan to everyone else, so I might as well have a moan on here, like old times.

Had both the dogs at the vet / bone man this morning, hour and a bit drive each way, down to Uxbridge outside London, but worth it to see a top guy. Always reassuring when most of the dogs in the waiting room are running dogs.

Anyway, both bitches have had a fairly hard few weeks, both have really been pleasing me. They are quite different dogs, they can do a lot of the same things, but have their own specialities, which they were nailing. As usual, pride comes before a fall.

Old bitch cut her back leg on the flint, a lot of blood, held it up a bit but was walking about within a day and then after a couple of weeks seemed fine and carried on running her. Noticed she's become very flat footed on the one back leg, the one she cut. Normally has feet like a cat. Anyway, she's severed a ligament, so is off for rest of reason and will always be flatfooted now. Hopefully she will run well enough when its healed, but the ligament wont rejoin, so who knows?

Young bitch is extremely lucky. Totally my fault and feel very very guilty, slipped her on something at a place I'd told myself not to, and she decided to jump off the top of a 20 plus foot quarry. Didn't fall, paused at the top and just leapt out into space. Luckily she hit a tree on the way down, which slowed her fall a bit. Very bruised, two sprained back legs. Possible lung damage and internal abdominal bleed. Shame as she has been on fire last couple of weeks especially. However she very nearly didn't come home, so i'm thankful for that, got to see how she goes over the next few days.

So that's a right shitter. Especially at this time of the year, with all of the shooting ground about to open up and febuary always being our busiest month of hunting. 

Had a couple of offers of dogs from friends, so my season might not be over yet, but gutted about my two.

16 hours ago, white van man said:

It always seems to be the way. You get them to just where you want them and something happens. My dog was doing well and came back to me the other day with a massive knock. Hope they make a full recovery! 

hows dog doing mate 

17 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Aye, fingers crossed. This vet knows the score though! 

But the young bitch is by far the toughest dog I've owned. She didn't make a sound when she smashed herself and hits everything full tilt with no care for her safety. Stressful to say the least.

I've done all that I can do, blistered, rested,.lived in hopes...:cray:

Time for the man...

I will be heading that way shortly,...torn ligaments are a right fecking pain...:wallbash:

Just now, Phil Lloyd said:

I will be heading that way shortly,...ligaments are a right fecking pain...:wallbash:

He's a bloody good man to see. I trust his opinion, and respect his work.

Been talking to him, and he reckons if I get the old bitch properly rested, even with the ligament totally severed, and the foot remaining flat, if I build her back up to fitness and health properly and keep the nails on that foot short, she hopefully will eventually run well enough. Whether it would be well enough to run as she usually does and catch her quarry like normal, we shall see. Fingers crossed.

Ive seen similar severed ligaments with tell tale flat toes infact my good friends bitch done this in her first season as said if properly rested they can come back strong enough and with abit of luck it doesnt hamper them again. 

Its a tough old life for a well worked lurcher.

1 minute ago, C.green said:

Ive seen similar severed ligaments with tell tale flat toes infact my good friends bitch done this in her first season as said if properly rested they can come back strong enough and with abit of luck it doesnt hamper them again. 

Its a tough old life for a well worked lurcher.

That's good news! Been trying to pm you, but your inbox is full. After your number to pick your brains.

thas proper bad luck mate i ope the pair of em pull thru ok..i ada saluki that snapped his achilles tendon..vets dun a crackin job..18mths walkin on the lead an was bac at it thankfully ...like it bin said before they arder than us think..atb