How to work out killing distance

7 hours ago, mark williams said:

Hi GT,

I`ve always been a strong believer in " Accuracy trumps power" period !

I practice on paper a lot and will practice on walks also - I`ll go through a tin a week practicing in the summer months, easily, but I always practice at what I consider air rifle ranges, - never beyond :nono:.

The greatest test in air gun hunting is concealment and getting within range, as said, a lot of people think more power will dispense this burden, it most certainly does not.

Greater the power x greater the distance = greater the demand on skills and marksmanship.

For me, 35 yds to 50 yds, is an easily achievable range to get within and a 12ft/lb rifle will give the same result as a 50 ft/lb rifle - if your marksmanship is good.

Greater ranges - you need a rimmy ( for me).

Good luck Mr Baker  :good:

but you need power to kill and not wound Mark

weather it be fac or sub 12

ok if your hitting paper

but on live quarry you need to be up there with a sub 12

for best results

no good having a rifle sitting at 6fp and expecting it to kill at 50yrds it just would not happen

even if it was accurate

5 hours ago, philpot said:

Quote:-    I`ve always been a strong believer in " Accuracy trumps power" period !

I really don't understand why you keep saying this Mark me ole duks, nobody on here or any other forum says otherwise. It is however a great advantage to have both which is what you get with FAC. As I have said before, you should come out with me and use the FAC, then you can form an opinion based on fact and experience of actually using one to know what they are capable of doing.

Phil

Iv all ways say,d a sub 12 rifle in this day and age is capable of a lot more than we think .

The old rifles from years ago when we were kids were not like they are to day

and iv seen what a fac rifle is capable of with my own eyes and at a great distance one shot one kill

a distance that i would not attempt my self with a fac OR a sub 12 

and iv got confidence in all my rifles spring or pcp

If i ever do put in for my fac it will be for rimmy and the likes

not air

if you want greater distance then go for a proper rifle 243, 308 and the likes

then practice a hell of a lot

i know i will

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

Quote :-    

Had the air cannon missed slightly on any of those shots Mark would have won the bet because of accuracy not power !

Again " for me" accuracy trumps power,- you have to hit it to kill it !

With regards to FAC, it`s only my opinion Phil, - I think a rimmy is the next step after an air rifle.

And what if Mark slightly misses one of the bulls.....................................does that mean power trumps accuracy, of course not mate but I just don't see any of your logic regarding this subject. As to whether you have shot FAC air, well if you have it must have been a poor gun otherwise you would not have this strange opinion and I am more than ready to put the guns to the test but it is not about that Mark, you just don't get it mate, A decent FAC air rifle is just as accurate as any sub 12 rifle.

I have as you know bought a rimmy mainly due to my perms being a little windswept and the heavier bullet I hope is a little more stable but as to range, next to nothing between them if I am using subsonic shells, HV shells, okay much bigger difference and I really do want to test some more out although I think I will need a much better mod than the SAK fitted now.

Phil

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philpot said:

Had the air cannon missed slightly on any of those shots Mark would have won the bet because of accuracy not power !

With regards to FAC, it`s only my opinion Phil, - I think a rimmy is the next step after an air rifle.

And what if Mark slightly misses one of the bulls.....................................does that mean power trumps accuracy, of course not mate but I just don't see any of your logic regarding this subject. As to whether you have shot FAC air, well if you have it must have been a poor gun otherwise you would not have this strange opinion and I am more than ready to put the guns to the test but it is not about that Mark, you just don't get it mate, A decent FAC air rifle is just as accurate as any sub 12 rifle.

I have as you know bought a rimmy mainly due to my perms being a little windswept and the heavier bullet I hope is a little more stable but as to range, next to nothing between them if I am using subsonic shells, HV shells, okay much bigger difference and I really do want to test some more out although I think I will need a much better mod than the SAK fitted now.

Phil

Well put Phil

but the next step from air or Rimmy is

243,, 308 :whistling:

ONLY SAYING LIKE ;)

PS,, i still want an answer about marks field craft

WHERE IS THE FIELD CRAFT ,,,SITTING ON YOUR ASS 8)

ONLY ASKING LIKE MARK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, charlie caller said:

Phils next step from his rimmy, as I keep reminding him, will be either a .222 .223 .22-250, or perhaps just perhaps, the awesome little 350 yard crow exploder, the venerable .17 Rem:girl_devil:

WELL i was close lol:laugh:

3 hours ago, philpot said:

Phil 

What happens if Mark misses ,- Mark misses Phil regardless of power and the vermin, or bulls eye stays missed,- I promise you.

A decent fac air rifle is just as accurate as any sub 12 rifle - yes Phil it is :bye:, as long as you stay away from .177 as the more power you get the more inaccurate the rifle/ pellet combination becomes.

Returning to the original question, my answer will always remain the same and we should agree to disagree mate.

How subsonic shells, HV shells got involved with Mr Bakers question, well don`t ask me.

Accuracy always trumps power  !  

D

a

2 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Well put Phil

but the next step from air or Rimmy is

243,, 308 :whistling:

ONLY SAYING LIKE ;)

PS,, i still want an answer about marks field craft

WHERE IS THE FIELD CRAFT ,,,SITTING ON YOUR ASS 8)

ONLY ASKING LIKE MARK

I keep showing you James, I keep sending you the photos so you can post on here, so I`ll try again, just for you :air_kiss:

" Your favourite photo"  x

5a60f438587da_IMG_0275(1).JPG.c46a9a8db8f635e4d7bc95bbe15b50dd.JPG

There you go ! My freezer is under camo behind me so shhhhhhh !

"Accuracy trumps power !" as does field craft.

IMG_0641.JPG.97e5e6e34beef6663557cc8df67b6a22.JPG

only saying like.