Buzzed by an Apache !

One of my regrets in life was never taking any pictures through my army career and ones I did I lost during a house move ... when I was in Kosovo we were waiting to go out on an op from the yank base camp greysteel and I had a shitty throw away camera ... we were on the heli pad that was covered in snow and two apaches came in hot side by side and a grabbed a quick picture ... it was brilliant two apaches a few feet off the ground with all the snow from the downdradt floating around them ... gutted I lost that picture .......

• Like 3

Indeed socks 

its hard to put into context the feeling of a military helicopter, 

one of my favourite things is being in a chinook alongside a group of my friends, I’ve had hundreds of photos in them over the years and in c130s . 

When I synced an old iPod it wiped them all , and I lost an old laptop to an old flame with two tours worth of pics . 

A regret of most old soldiers really 

• Like 1
On 16/01/2018 at 23:22, Blackbriar said:

So.....

I'm out today, beating for a shoot that used to be local to me. We're having a lovely day, in the winter sunshine of a Buckinghamshire morning, when we hear a helicopter approaching. A Chinook passes over, at maybe 500 feet, so I look up to admire this wonder of engineering. Immediately, I notice that it has no roundels, markings or identification numbers - just plain black. 

To cut a long story short, a very enjoyable day comes t an end, and we're all in the farmyard, wishing each other well, when we hear another helicopter approaching. Someone jokingly says "It's the police, checking us out !"

I look up, and see an unmistakable silhouette - "I hope they're not looking for us - that's an Apache !" Everyone looks up, and we can clearly see the this awesome machine, complete (apparently) with missiles and all it's additional firepower, circling in a radius of about a mile, before veering off and disappearing over the horizon. The thing is, that this bird also had no markings of any kind on it ! No roundels, no US flag, no ID numbers.......

Tinfoil wearers need not reply, but what could two unidentified helicopters (clearly military !) be doing, buzzing at low level, over the Buckinghamshire country side ?

Could it be something to do with the fact that RAF Brize Norton was roughly to our west, and Hanslope Park (GCHQ) to our east ? But why no markings ? 

Sensible ideas only, please !

Royalty travelling to Wales for the day? 

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Sat in a chinook for first time facing ye mates an watching the horizon coming an going out window behind him is a wierd feeling? an then guys walking about fixing stuff whilst ye flying sure makes ye arse twitchy??? or atleast it always did mine?

And hedge hopping in Norther Ireland in a big arse machine a few feet off the ground lol ..... 

Thundering across Salisbury Plain back in the 80,s full regiment of Chieftain tanks giving it the beans yehaa we are the best then oh f----uk as a whole regiment of Lynx pops up from behind the bushes and about a 1000 soldiers collectively filled their pants and the umpires laughed till they cried :D

On 1/16/2018 at 17:09, Blackbriar said:

Plain black in broad daylight atm500 feet ? Not very well camo-ed !  :laugh:

True but they're probably on their way to Las Vegas for a conspiracy!

On 1/17/2018 at 11:31, stumfelter said:

Never forget the thl motto. If there's no photos it didn't happen. ??

Apache.jpg.8057787b9a1a3111fef9e6e892070b49.jpg

:thumbs:

• Haha 2