Ratzilla

Evening all. Time for another write up. 

Got told by Rabid the other day that he is at all out war with the rats after losing a chicken to them. After my failed attempt last Friday I had to try and prove I actually knew what a rat was and that I knew how to shoot him them. 

I finished work at 6 and then shot home to get changed and grab my kit. I got to the farm about half 6. We sorted the rifles and Rabid kindly leant me his Pulsar NV again. The plan of attack was for me to set up in the barn and try and get some from there and Rabid was to go over to the Pen on the other side as he was shooting his FAC cricket and The wind wouldn’t be so much of an issue for him. 

I got set up in the barn in darkness and used a red torch nice and dim to keep a check down the length of the barn. I spotted a pair of eyes so I switched off the torch, NV went on, lined up the shot... and I fricken pulled the shot. On the upside the rat probably had a heart attack as it jumped a good 6 inches off the ground then shot into one of the rat holes. 

A bit pissed, I checked how far I’d pulled it and saw that I’d more than likely grazed the little blighter as the pellet had hit the wall behind it and was only a hair out of where I’d aimed it. 

Determiend not to fail, I returned to my corner and got settled in darkness, occasionally checking with my torch for eyes. Another... I took my time, I waited him out and watched him In the NV. He stopped for a brief second and offered me a clean shot. I pulled the trigger and noticed the shot a touch high. The rat didn’t even flinch... this shot was close enough to shave its head but it didn’t move. I adjusted for the next shot but as I pulled the trigger it moved and I hit it broad side. I quickly chambered another pellet and landed the second shot in the neck as the headshot was obscured at this point. Unfortunately it managed to get under a door I didn’t have access to after the second shot but I’m more than confident it wouldn’t have lasted long with the amount of blood in the area. 

Then came the monster. This thing Looked like a bloody hedgehog in the sight. It was obscured for a good while by a brick it was behind. I took my time, trying to remain quiet but I needn’t have bothered. When I stood up and knocked the plastic bird crate I was sitting on making an almighty racket the bloody thing looked at me and went back to what she was doing. I got up onto the crate to allow me to see over the brick. Lined up my shot and as I squeezed the trigger I pulled the shot. She was standing rear on but with her head to the side so I had a clear shot but unfortunately the pull meant I landed the first shot in its arse. Not my finest hour I shan’t lie and not a shot I’m at all happy with (some extra range hours wouldn’t be a bad idea me thinks) however despite the pulled shot the rat was completely motionless. It didn’t move at all. I stood for a few seconds before walking up to collect it. When I got to it I noticed it wasn’t dead so quickly gave it a coup de grace. That’s when I realised the actual size of this thing. Now I know rats get big and there are definitely bigger rats out there but this was the biggest rat I’ve ever shot and hence she shall go down as ratzilla. 

As it goes we know she was a she as she was carrying, a bit of shame in some senses but good news in other senses and all in all a bloody good result as it means one less to breed in future. 

So, to prove it is possible and that I can indeed shoot rats (following a successful eye test)... here is ratzilla 

A1D5BB2F-A25C-4490-9E05-040F5B54B28D.jpeg

• Like 7

She was ready to drop.

People don't realise how prolific they breed.

A litter can be 13 or 14 at a time, granted that's a large litter.

They can reproduce in under 2 months from birth.

so, working on the max, 

14 young, all female.

6 weeks later all females have a big litter, you didn't shoot one rat, you shot one and potentailly stopped 196 more in the next 2 months.

In reality, I would put the figure at more like 50, but either way, am pleased it's gone.

I think we need to Get as much time as possible on some targets, stop you pulling them shots, we all do it once in a while, I'm not so concerned on rats, but you won't always be on them.

The more you shoot, the confidence will build, I'm sure half the problem is your feeling pressure, I know you can shoot.

I might let you try the regal, that gun stacks them on top of each other at 50 yards.

3 hours ago, Rabid said:

She was ready to drop.

People don't realise how prolific they breed.

A litter can be 13 or 14 at a time, granted that's a large litter.

They can reproduce in under 2 months from birth.

so, working on the max, 

14 young, all female.

6 weeks later all females have a big litter, you didn't shoot one rat, you shot one and potentailly stopped 196 more in the next 2 months.

In reality, I would put the figure at more like 50, but either way, am pleased it's gone.

I think we need to Get as much time as possible on some targets, stop you pulling them shots, we all do it once in a while, I'm not so concerned on rats, but you won't always be on them.

The more you shoot, the confidence will build, I'm sure half the problem is your feeling pressure, I know you can shoot.

I might let you try the regal, that gun stacks them on top of each other at 50 yards.

Wow. That’s an interesting way of thinking about it really! Definitely. As I said to you before it’s fine to shoot targets on an indoor range but there’s no variables really. I need to do some outdoors shooting and get myself sorted. 

You may wish to consider some shooting sticks which will help no end, quite a few of us have these:-  https://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-trigger-stick-gen-2-deluxe-tripod-tall-316957.html

These are very useful for both day and night time shooting and will give you that extra support, I would not leave home without them even if I doubt that I will be using them. Really brilliant product.

Phil

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, philpot said:

You may wish to consider some shooting sticks which will help no end, quite a few of us have these:-  https://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-trigger-stick-gen-2-deluxe-tripod-tall-316957.html

These are very useful for both day and night time shooting and will give you that extra support, I would not leave home without them even if I doubt that I will be using them. Really brilliant product.

Phil

I've got a set of them phil, and agreed they are very handy indeed.

• Like 1

in an ideal world we would nail rats every time mark but it docent happen... don't think many people who shoot them regularly will deny it, they appear at all ranges! 

as for the pulling your shots... are you sure your pulling them and its not just a bit of adrenaline?!

if im full of coffee my shots go to sh1t!

I never go shooting at clubs cos there aren't any round my way but what I do a lot of is picking out stones in farm yards and the like,

shooting at different angles and ranges you need to get use to real life scenarios and with that will come confidence and a lot more rats for your photos:thumbs:

pretty sure you'll get a lot of good advice from rabid!

keep at it and the rewards will come. 

atb si 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rabid said:

I've got a set of them phil, and agreed they are very handy indeed.

Apologies gents I missed these comments. I had a play with these at the CLA at hatfield last year and Rabid was kind enough to lend me his last week. I have a set on order :icon_redface: just dont tell the Mrs haha