Bit of advice on precharged

Hi lads I am looking at buying a precharge airgun, this summer sometime, I am thinking of buying a second hand BSA hornet or similar, for rat and pigeon in buildings, I have been around shotguns and firearms, most my life, so I have no issues with using one, airguns however is a different story, I have no experience at all with precharged, dispite always having a springer, the question really is what kind of money are they second hand, are they worth having, I don’t need stupid ranges, just something quiet and accurate, reliable, something I can put my photon night vision on, I have a good BSA Mercury, but the grooving on them limits the mounts I can use, is it worth getting a stirrup pump, on the understanding, that the gun won’t be used massively, I know this as probably been asked many times but any advice is welcome, 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Light weight and will match any top price  gun pellet for pellet 

If you want some thing you can keep for years and still be as accurate as the day you got it then there is only one the hw100 in any format and cal you want . silent and deadly . the ra

Darren am I mistaken or are you in south Yorks? If so you are welcome to come over and try my BSA Ultra, short, light, and lazer deadly accurate mate.

Posted Images

If you want some thing you can keep for years and still be as accurate as the day you got it

then there is only one the hw100 in any format and cal you want .

silent and deadly .

the rapids are good as well but both are a bit pricey new but there are some bargains out there in the second hand market

if you look .

AA s410

bsa ultra

bsa scorpion t10

AA s510

AA s310

are good as well and a bit cheaper to

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

If you want some thing you can keep for years and still be as accurate as the day you got it

then there is only one the hw100 in any format and cal you want .

silent and deadly .

the rapids are good as well but both are a bit pricey new but there are some bargains out there in the second hand market

if you look .

AA s410

bsa ultra

bsa scorpion t10

AA s510

AA s310

are good as well and a bit cheaper to

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers I will have a look at them,the only thing I am cautious of is getting something that’s too heavy, 

I have a AA S410. Bought it second hand 9 years ago and it still shoots spot on. I use a stirrup pump and don't have any problems. If you're using night vision you can shoot a rat then load another pellet without losing sight of other rats. I would go for a .177. It's a straighter trajectory which is going to be better for N/V shooting as judging distance is a bit hit and miss at night. Fitted with a silencer they are dead quiet. P.C.P's are just nice to shoot. I can sit out in the field at me table and pop away at all sorts just for the fun.

• Like 1

Another vote for the ultra, I have one that's as good as any rifle costing double, and I have some bloody good guns to compare it too.

if it's not gonna get used often, keep it topped up with air, the seals let go when pressure drops, same with any pcp's though.

all those that jimmy linked are good, but I would also look at the s510 superlite. good lightweight guns.

no point buying a bottle if your not using it regular, just don't let the pressure drop much cos it's a workout filling them back up.

to give you an idea, I paid £300 a yr back for an ultra se that was only 6 month old.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Which BSA Mercury have you got Darren?

Not sure on model, I will check later, it’s a 22 I bought it from a forum member, as that’s what I used as a lad, that and the meteors, but I for some reason changed, and went more into shotguns/ firearms and traded mine years ago, this last couple of yrs I have used it on quiet a bit on rat, and I want something for branches, 

3 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Not sure on model, I will check later, it’s a 22 I bought it from a forum member, as that’s what I used as a lad, that and the meteors, but I for some reason changed, and went more into shotguns/ firearms and traded mine years ago, this last couple of yrs I have used it on quiet a bit on rat, and I want something for branches, 

If it's a Mercury Challenger, I may be able to sort you out with a PCP :thumbs:

7 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

If it's a Mercury Challenger, I may be able to sort you out with a PCP :thumbs:

It’s a mercury mk 3 1978 

14 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

It’s a mercury mk 3 1978 

That’s if I am right, it has ZC prefix on number, but it doesn’t have the raised scope rail, so can’t be a challenger, 

Edited by 3175darren
Add info