A fellow who snares badgers for the Dept. of Agriculture told me that they tried vaccinating badgers a few years ago using bait laced with the vaccine but he said other wildlife species got it first and had reactions to it. He mentioned squirrels to me.

The reason cattle are not vaccinated for TB is because by using a vaccine the Irish herd would loose it's Disease Free worldwide status. It's the same with foot and mouth.

I know no body bothers digging badgers nowadays but the lad who did the snaring for the DoA told me he snares a hell of a lot of foxes too as a by catch and that does affect the hunting terrierman. So I hope the badger vaccination program is a success but I can see the vets finding fault with it. There'll be a lot of vets out of work if it is a success. As usual it's never about animal welfare but all about ££££££££££££.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pilot area near me for vaccines, they get two on Friday and vacinate and chip them then knock down the snares for the weekend, , go back Monday to reset them when farmer comes over and says I saw some

" and kept up to forty in pens " ?? ,.......i will say one thing though, whether its acceptable or not ?,.....the countryman & his dogs helping the landowner, (at one time ?) with a 'badger proble

I'd have to see it with my own two eyes to see snares lifted over the weekend. We've often had farmers ask us to shoot badgers when out rough shooting because they'd been in them over the weekend. The

On 1/16/2018 at 20:07, liamdelaney said:

Yip its all about the money,seen Dept boys moving a family of badgers one time,with a mine digger trenched the whole set and destroyed it.Badgers are very partial to chocolate,we also fed them sheeps heads many years ago for the trials.

Man I was speaking to last night was told by the IFA that the del will use sugar lumps with the vaccine in them to innuclate the badger.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff,........i always felt the Republics badger control program, couldnt be justified ?,....(& that includes both the method & scale of it,..),.......there must be countless spots within all the counties, seriously depleted of old brock now ? (& needlessly !) & just how many perfectly healthy 'billys' would that  include, i wonder ?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, fat man said:

Man I was speaking to last night was told by the IFA that the del will use sugar lumps with the vaccine in them to innuclate the badger.

That's good news indeed for Irish wildlife.

As long as he doesn't get them mixed up and put two in his tea.............LOL and then grow an extra ear or something as a side effect LOL.

• Haha 1

serious question if i may ask a few knowledge men,when brock was been dug out in the day,if TB was air born ,and some terrier man had his head down the hole,is it possible he could get TB from breathing the spores from the earth if brock had the TB diesease,something i always wondered about

7 hours ago, liamdelaney said:

How will they catch them,?snare,cage.does this mean they will trap one hundred,one thousand ten thousand,very curious to know how its going to work.Personally I have only ever seen one sick badger in my life(Im a badger watcher!!)they appear to be very very healthy,I also think Brock is a scapegoat.Wicklow is over flowing with Deer they are a complete pest,Wicklow is also overflowing with TB.

A very good vet, in the area with the highest incidence of Bovine TB, told me the real problem with TB and badgers is cross-contamination.  Badger and Deer populations re-infect each other.  Sick deer can't travel far to forage, they head for pasture for nice lush grass, if there close to deer.  Infected deer cough when foraging leaving phlegm on pasture......

they build water troughs big enough so badgers can't climb into them......

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jack lee said:

serious question if i may ask a few knowledge men,when brock was been dug out in the day,if TB was air born ,and some terrier man had his head down the hole,is it possible he could get TB from breathing the spores from the earth if brock had the TB diesease,something i always wondered about

That's something I wouldn't know, but the lad I was shooting with on Sunday was telling me that all the kids in his sons class had to be tested for TB. Not because one of them had been in contact with old Billy Boy but with a Billy Boy who'd joined their class from Africa. Apparently there's been a few cases.

The head master has been seen setting snares but they'll probably just vaccinate :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, neil cooney said:

That's something I wouldn't know, but the lad I was shooting with on Sunday was telling me that all the kids in his sons class had to be tested for TB. Not because one of them had been in contact with old Billy Boy but with a Billy Boy who'd joined their class from Africa. Apparently there's been a few cases.

The head master has been seen setting snares but they'll probably just vaccinate :whistling:

yeah i no what your saying neil,but i wonder could anybody have any light on the question i asked,can TB be spread threw the bacteria that badgers may have by breathing the spores from a badger set if a fella had his head down it,so can a animal pass the bacteria by breathing the same airspace close up to human

1 hour ago, VOON said:

A very good vet, in the area with the highest incidence of Bovine TB, told me the real problem with TB and badgers is cross-contamination.  Badger and Deer populations re-infect each other.  Sick deer can't travel far to forage, they head for pasture for nice lush grass, if there close to deer.  Infected deer cough when foraging leaving phlegm on pasture......

they build water troughs big enough so badgers can't climb into them......

A farmer once told me that old brock was coming out of his hole late at night shagging the unsuspecting sleeping cows then buggering of back down his hole in the ground.:sad:

1 hour ago, neil cooney said:

TB is starting to be a problem again in Ireland because of all Foreigners from TB riddled Countrys coming in here and not getting tested at entry,after all our suffering from TB we are letting it in with our door wide open.Two good friends of my own got a very serious strain of it working in the prison service, personnel who interviewed these economic migrants !!! a lot of them have also got it.You will not read about this in the papers it would probably lead to shouts of Racism.As for getting TB from digging badgers back in the day we dug plenty and kept up to forty in pens nobody ever got nothing from them.I dug one(PRE  BAN)that was very sick and looked to have TB and others were in the best of health.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hatch28 said:

A farmer once told me that old brock was coming out of his hole late at night shagging the unsuspecting sleeping cows then buggering of back down his hole in the ground.:sad:

Jayus, I thought Brocks bit down while attempting matings....can't imagine a cow sleeping whilst a Badger bit them....

2 minutes ago, VOON said:

Jayus, I thought Brocks bit down while attempting matings....can't imagine a cow sleeping whilst a Badger bit them....

You'd hear mad old stories all right, it was believed  by some old fellas around here that badgers would throw stones at people 

• Haha 1