13 hours ago, rob284 said:

Haha number of holes has no correlation with numbers in the area. Ive seen 5 emerge from a tiny 1 holer only several feet of tube. Yet theres plenty of extensive setts with many active holes that only have 1 in it. No hard and fast rule imo and ive never understood how they can be confident on there population estimates when the population varies so drastically from area to area.

Agreed Rob but that's how it's done .

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pilot area near me for vaccines, they get two on Friday and vacinate and chip them then knock down the snares for the weekend, , go back Monday to reset them when farmer comes over and says I saw some

" and kept up to forty in pens " ?? ,.......i will say one thing though, whether its acceptable or not ?,.....the countryman & his dogs helping the landowner, (at one time ?) with a 'badger proble

I'd have to see it with my own two eyes to see snares lifted over the weekend. We've often had farmers ask us to shoot badgers when out rough shooting because they'd been in them over the weekend. The

1 hour ago, undertaker said:

Kerry is one of the most affected by tb in Ireland at the moment.would the ban on shooting deer be any way connected to it as you wudnt know if there red deer were carriers

well where i live up in the west, we have a very large pouplaition of badgers, but small farms, more like small holdings. havent heard of any tb cases here in years.

also we have a crazy amount of red deer, but these stay up in the hills and plantations where the cattle dont graze.

it would make you wonder are the deer spreading tb more than the badger.

atb j

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 18:43, rob284 said:

Haha number of holes has no correlation with numbers in the area. Ive seen 5 emerge from a tiny 1 holer only several feet of tube. Yet theres plenty of extensive setts with many active holes that only have 1 in it. No hard and fast rule imo and ive never understood how they can be confident on there population estimates when the population varies so drastically from area to area.

Pretty sure they take into account all signs of badger activity not just holes when doing the census on badger population and because these culls are regional the statistical nature of the surveys will average out. Some cull sights may be over culled and others under.

Also a general point. The ongoing study into the effectiveness of this UK cull is suggesting that it has brought about a near 60% reduction in TB incidents. It will become more conclusive over the coming years as more data is gathered from sustained culling. This is very inconvenient for the anti cull lot who are still standing by the argument that "the science shows it won't be effective"..........welllllllll SHIT! :blink:8P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pilot area near me for vaccines, they get two on Friday and vacinate and chip them then knock down the snares for the weekend, , go back Monday to reset them when farmer comes over and says I saw some of the snares were knocked down so I reset them and got two badgers for you on Sunday, there in a sack in the shed, he didn't know about vaccine programs so shot them and of course when checked for chips he'd only gone and shot the same two vaccinated and chipped badgers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
On 2/15/2018 at 16:24, steve t said:

Pilot area near me for vaccines, they get two on Friday and vacinate and chip them then knock down the snares for the weekend, , go back Monday to reset them when farmer comes over and says I saw some of the snares were knocked down so I reset them and got two badgers for you on Sunday, there in a sack in the shed, he didn't know about vaccine programs so shot them and of course when checked for chips he'd only gone and shot the same two vaccinated and chipped badgers.

I'd have to see it with my own two eyes to see snares lifted over the weekend. We've often had farmers ask us to shoot badgers when out rough shooting because they'd been in them over the weekend. The worst was a snare set on a Friday and it being a bank holiday weekend the badger was still lying there on the Monday. It had dug a hole the length of the wire and was lying there waiting to be shot. I refused to shoot it and the Department man came Tuesday morning and shot it.

IMO it's hard to believe that that way is legal but the way my father done it with terriers when legal is now illegal. Doesn't make sense somehow.

• Like 8
On 2/19/2018 at 16:40, neil cooney said:

But I thought for vaccination they used cage traps. How do they expect to snare a badger with a wire and release it unharmed after a night in a wire. If they are and terrierwork is an illegal method then the mind boggles ?

Your right, Neil,.....displays such a poor mentality ?