• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pilot area near me for vaccines, they get two on Friday and vacinate and chip them then knock down the snares for the weekend, , go back Monday to reset them when farmer comes over and says I saw some

" and kept up to forty in pens " ?? ,.......i will say one thing though, whether its acceptable or not ?,.....the countryman & his dogs helping the landowner, (at one time ?) with a 'badger proble

I'd have to see it with my own two eyes to see snares lifted over the weekend. We've often had farmers ask us to shoot badgers when out rough shooting because they'd been in them over the weekend. The

Its definitely not the silver bullet. The highest rates of tb are also in the area with highest deer populations. It'll be nice to know theyve stopped culling them as some areas are untouched whilst others are nearly depleted of them.

• Like 2

Rob, as far as I know deer were proven not to be spreading TB here in Ireland last year or the year before. Personally I also think the Badger is a scapegoat too. There's a lot of vets making a pretty penny from testing who otherwise would be quiet.

The Irish governments method of culling ,snaring, is wrong too. Nothing wrong with snaring as I use them myself for vermin but now they ask the farmers to check them and at this time of the year when a farmer's rarely on the land I know of Badgers lying in snares for a couple of days.

Personally I love Badgers and I hope the vaccination program is a success. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Rob, as far as I know deer were proven not to be spreading TB here in Ireland last year or the year before. Personally I also think the Badger is a scapegoat too. There's a lot of vets making a pretty penny from testing who otherwise would be quiet.

The Irish governments method of culling ,snaring, is wrong too. Nothing wrong with snaring as I use them myself for vermin but now they ask the farmers to check them and at this time of the year when a farmer's rarely on the land I know of Badgers lying in snares for a couple of days.

Personally I love Badgers and I hope the vaccination program is a success. 

Strange how TB is rife any where deer population is high the hole of Wicklow is down with TB.

• Like 1

Every other farm is down around me in the north/east it's a disaster this 12months and deer population is very low there's only a few deer around.but they must be stuped why are they trying to catch a wild animal to vacante it why cant they just vacante the cattle against it,doesn't make sense.

10 hours ago, smasher said:

Truth being told it’s most likely the cattle that introduced T. B to the Badgers and Deer,what with modern intensive farming methods etc. 

True, and another thing that proves IMO that Irish vets need TB is the fact that the test procedure itself is 90 years old.

With modern medicine progressing so fast and illnesses that used to be lethal now being cured easily it's hard to believe that the TB test is 90 years old. Stupid IMO.

Cui bono? All herds in Ireland must be tested every 12 months. Who does the testing? You give an animal a vaccine thats one visit. You test an animal every 12 months for its lifetime, how many visits would that be for a cow?

How will they catch them,?snare,cage.does this mean they will trap one hundred,one thousand ten thousand,very curious to know how its going to work.Personally I have only ever seen one sick badger in my life(Im a badger watcher!!)they appear to be very very healthy,I also think Brock is a scapegoat.Wicklow is over flowing with Deer they are a complete pest,Wicklow is also overflowing with TB.

• Like 2