Marking !

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do like a lurcher to mark and his bitch does love to mark ! 

The old fish n chip mark a positive point 

That’s my type of ground for a good days walk out. Dog looks strong and Looks a perfect cross for those hills. Going to start doing a lot more of it and when I get more time I will head out with overn

Posted Images

2 hours ago, 3175darren said:

It’s half the fun when they mark, it’s  marvellous to watch, 

C5968840-EB7E-413A-8E12-969528DFC725.jpeg

For some reason that stare brought back memories of when Maggie found a young roe in the reeds I don't know if her maternal instinct kicked in but she went from a bitch that was use to seeing all sizes of  deer to just short of mother in it never once did she show any sign of going for it but just looked memorised 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, blackmaggie said:

I remember one dog I had would mark rabbits with a stare and try and get to ground on fox and never falsed marked and good marking dog is a godsend when there's upteen holes about 

Got a cocker bitch here that does the same the last time she did one was bolted and one was dug out of the same set

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Trev70 said:

Got a cocker bitch here that does the same the last time she did one was bolted and one was dug out of the same set

There's a lad at the end of my street that's shoots and beats a lot  and his little bitch is for ever doing it he says its a nightmare on shoot days is it a trait trev or is it just the odd one as he says this bitch is highly driven and mad for anything regardless how much graft he gives it 

When that photo was taken, he couldn’t get to a rabbit, it ducked under a load of rubbish, he wouldn’t leave it,he had run it for quiet a distance and it out turned him, he was on new ground, he got it in the end, but he really marks well, fur or feather,

• Like 1
9 hours ago, blackmaggie said:

There's a lad at the end of my street that's shoots and beats a lot  and his little bitch is for ever doing it he says its a nightmare on shoot days is it a trait trev or is it just the odd one as he says this bitch is highly driven and mad for anything regardless how much graft he gives it 

Had a few cockers and this is the only one that as done it that I have owned but I knew a lad down south and he owned a couple that did it and I've heard of others, my cocker is rabbit mad in the cover that's the main job I own them for but she will not try to go to ground on a rabbit,  she only goes to ground when a fox is at home which is no problem when she does because she's just in and out just telling me there's one at home so I can grab her and walk on and then I've got plenty of mates more than happy when I give them a call.

Edited by Trev70
  • Like 2

You are right there Trigger...:yes:

With some dogs it is a few second's glance,..a quick, tip ya the wink kinda thing,..and you need to really know your dog to catch it...

Whereas with others, it is far more obvious...

I once had a canny cur that marked so strongly that she had to be physically dragged off a Warren before she would leave it...

As we did this she always seemed to give us a bewildered and frustrated look of, 'Ya C**ts, there is a rabbit here, for feck's sake get the ferret in":laugh:

DSC_9667.thumb.JPG.fe72a6a64c973824ac5ee7046f8566e9.JPG

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

You are right there Trigger...:yes:

With some dogs it is a few second's glance,..a quick, tip ya the wink kinda thing,..and you need to really know your dog to catch it...

Whereas with others, it is far more obvious...

I once had a canny cur that marked so strongly that she had to be physically dragged off a Warren before she would leave it...

As we did this she always seemed to give us a bewildered and frustrated look of 'Ya C**ts, there is a rabbit here, for feck's sake get the ferret in":laugh:

Funny thing with that bitch of mine she will mark anything to ground but if Iv not got a ferret she wont mark rabbits like she half knows it’s pointless 

• Like 1

I felt sorry for em today. . .at one point I lost sight of the blue bitch she was that low over the warren the snow drifted over her. 

I like it when they mark them in the stone walls. . . had loads that way without even needing a ferret.

Never leave the mark. - Copy.jpg