S. Young & Sons (Misterton) 1963/4

13 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Good times,..never to return...:cray:

Weren't they just, no Phones ,hardly any Cars , Good prices , a £5 fine and a Bollocking  for having a 2.2 Rifle  or Hare Coursing, all you had to worry about  was those 70 year old 8 stone Gamekeepers who would fly at you at any time ,day or night. A breed of man  also now  confined to the History books.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fat-Ferret said:

Does anyone know when Misertons stopped trading? 

Just asked my mate there, and this is what he emailed back

"George Young, the last remaining active son, died in 1992. " S. Young & Sons " went with him.

He'd long since given up on the catalogues. Knocked out little price list books instead. And, by the late eighties, even that had become more of a pamphlet."

• Like 1

Thanks Eddie and fair play for sharing.

Two things that I found surprising was the deer nets and the cockerel comb covers. I got the impression the nets were for catching deer and not for keeping them in. But then again Carted Staghunting was common years ago and a cover to put on your cocks comb to stop it flopping over shows they took their poultry showing seriously years ago.

A good insight to a forgotten age.

1 hour ago, neil cooney said:

Thanks Eddie and fair play for sharing.

Two things that I found surprising was the deer nets and the cockerel comb covers. I got the impression the nets were for catching deer and not for keeping them in. But then again Carted Staghunting was common years ago and a cover to put on your cocks comb to stop it flopping over shows they took their poultry showing seriously years ago.

A good insight to a forgotten age.

The thing is, it ain't really all that long ago, is it! Yet things have changed so much in that time. And none for the better, may I add.

• Like 2