Cant believe what some folk skip

My lad does house removals for folks & they very often get stuff given them off the folks moving. well he was given a box full of stamps in albums & post cards they where going in the skip if he didnt want them, I am looking at a lifetimes work here .... its amazing to look at old stamps from Victorian times 

I dont particularly think there is any value in them but its the way they have been catalogued, all neat & tidy , there must be at least 2000 stamps & first edition things its history as far as i am concerned & should be preserved 

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Do some research on them Kay - some can be worth a few bob.

I have had a quick look online but the majority are going for ten bob to a quid each, even whole stamp collections on e bay are only fetching a few quid , there are a few penny red's but I dont know enough to know whats what .... might be an idea to get a stamp collector shop place to take a look

• Like 1

When recession hit Ireland around 2009 and the receivers came in to take over large building contractors everything went in skip during liquidation. One firm building block of apartments had brand new bathroom suites dumped in skips. All health and safety so no staff could take anything home in case they were injured moving or fitting it and a claim could arise. Brand new scaffolding was brought into scrapyard by the lorry load and crushed. The banks had no understanding of the value of stuff or weren't bothered going to the rounds of auction and get a few quid back. Quicker and easier to dump it. If their owed eighty million then eighty thousand isn't worth chasing .?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am an incurable skip rat, I love a good rummage my best skip I earned a grand from the contents and my best ever rubbish clearance I made 1600 from selling the rubbish I was payed to clear, my son is driving a Mazda car with 49000 miles on the clock that I was asked to scrap for someone when the 93 year old owner passed away , and I also sold a corsa for 500 last year that cost me £25 to put a new mot on after someone asked me to take it to the scrap yard, I love the throw away society we live in, I get a bit of abuse and a few tugs from plod but but I got pretty thick skin so alls good 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a rule here if you have anything you don't want but may have some value to somebody else (toys, shoes clothes etc) you leave them in a separate bag next to the bins and people will look through and take what they need/want. 

I've just the now left a pair of walking boots and some warm clothes of mine and the daughters there ;)

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I am an incurable skip rat, I love a good rummage my best skip I earned a grand from the contents and my best ever rubbish clearance I made 1600 from selling the rubbish I was payed to clear, my son is driving a Mazda car with 49000 miles on the clock that I was asked to scrap for someone when the 93 year old owner passed away , and I also sold a corsa for 500 last year that cost me £25 to put a new mot on after someone asked me to take it to the scrap yard, I love the throw away society we live in, I get a bit of abuse and a few tugs from plod but but I got pretty thick skin so alls good 

I have had loads of stuff that folks where going to sling in the bin, and tart it up :laugh: with a tick of paint 

• Like 1

I know it isn't exactly thrown away but if just got a full sheep netting fence, all the wire with brand new fence posts attached.......i found in on the bank of a tidal river.....some farmer twenty miles upstream must of just put it in when the whole field got washed away, non of the posts are even snapped ??