Ferreting in beaches.

Any of lad ferret on the beach dunes 

Was chatting to a mate this morning and he said that on one spot he thinks that the spot where the ferret lay up was 20 feet plus deep. 

He dug two 3 footers which wasn't so bad.

What was the worst dig any of ye had to do for your ferret.

Mine was around 5 foot in running beach sand. Don't fancy doing that again lol.

Atb j

28 minutes ago, micky said:

Silver sand, it is like being in an Egg timer

dont get that type of sand around here. after the first two feet of beach sand its not to bad, in places. unless its been dug before.

we either have beach sand or peat. the peat is very easy to dig. very compact.

no ditches or hedge rows here. 

atb j

the worst thing if find about the beach ferreting is the amount of holes you have to cover. every two to four feet you have to net up.

poor dogs got whip lash trying to watch them all lol.

but its a nice clean ground to work with no snags or hang ups.

atb j

• Like 1

I do a couple of coastal areas you can have good days and bad days  the burrows are like fox holes you need a big net to cover them and if you get a 4 foot reading the tunnel will often only be 2 foot down but its that big and wide unless its a big hob ferret on the rabbit it gets pulled over the tube .Digging deeps a pain  we always do it as a pair  one at the diggers ankles as he digs in  ready to pull him out if the tunnel collapses which it often does on top of the digger , and we take the biggest round mouth weve got  because you shift a lot of sand and with a smaller spade your wasting your time 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The one said:

I do a couple of coastal areas you can have good days and bad days  the burrows are like fox holes you need a big net to cover them and if you get a 4 foot reading the tunnel will often only be 2 foot down but its that big and wide unless its a big hob ferret on the rabbit it gets pulled over the tube .Digging deeps a pain  we always do it as a pair  one at the diggers ankles as he digs in  ready to pull him out if the tunnel collapses which it often does on top of the digger , and we take the biggest round mouth weve got  because you shift a lot of sand and with a smaller spade your wasting your time 

unbelievable the amount of sand you have to shift just for a small hole. and then one tube is on top of another its twice as bad clearing sand the second time

atb j

Some dune scape warrens can be huge and on big dune's seriously deep.

In old EDRD's Sammy Vaughn used to post good articles about ferreting dunes.

One of the best things about dune hunting is that the sand drains so well and never freezes but it can be hell on ferrets if you move about on top too much and your dogs really need to grow up on that terrain.

Sadly, as our coast gets ever busy with walkers and recreationalists, dune hunting is difficult to find...

its tough on the ferrets as well. i notice them passing sand for a couple days after. and i always check their eyes as well.

but they are lovely and clean places to work though.

dont have that problem with walkers and recreationalists here.

90% of the rabbiting i do is on beach dunes.

atb j

• Like 1

I know a place in Norfolk where there are some very high inland sand dunes  ,twice a year three blokes used to trap them ,i went with them a few times  and they really knew there job  they murdered Rabbits  , and i hope they still do .

Nearly all the land I ferret is dunes and sandy soil. Its easier to get permission on land like that as folk dont mind you hunting them here when the rabbits have the land destroyed with thousands of holes and the dog walkers are tripping over them. Seen a couple of people going down holes while ferreting and done it myself when the ground suddenly gives way under you. then your up to your bollocks with one leg down a hole. I use bigger faster type ferrets to keep the pressure on them so your no waiting all day for a rabbit to bolt thats running around in an under ground maze, also bigger ferrets id imagine could dig themselves out easier if they manage to get stuck in a stop end with a kill, you dont always get a mark on the ferret finder even on search as the burrows can go that deep. If Im using my  jills Id expect at least 3 or 4 digs, 6ft digs are the norm. Iv never lost a ferret on dunes while ferreting but I know plenty who have even with a locator. As for dogs on dunes mine usually catch the rabbit at the burrow entrance, theres never any good runs as the rabbits are gone down the nearest hole so the dogs have to be pinching them as they stall at or just exit the burrow. My dog uses her nose more to tell where the rabbits going to exit because sometimes even on a good day you cant hear nothing for the wind coming off the atlantic. Its like being in a wind tunnel at times. I always get decent enough bags from the sandy spots.

• Thanks 1

thats the best description that anyone could ever give about whats it like ferreting beach dunes. you got it exactly right.

its all dunes i ferreted. the places were like swiss cheese with all the holes.

still rather the dunes than hedge rows. cleaner and easier to keep an eye on things.

great post rabbit demon.

atb j

• Like 1