FAC Airgun

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Short and simple, FX Impact .25, 47fpe or Rapid .22 30fpe. I have both and both are good but the FX is AMAZING.  Some people say FAC Air rifles are not worth the hassle of getting a ticket.......

Hi all,  Ive been using a BSA S10 for a while now on my permission for Rabbit control.  Recently found out that its been signed off by Firearms for FAC Airgun use. In result ive now put in f

My permission (Due to its location) has only been signed off for use with a FAC Airgun. If it was signed off for more I would get a bullet gun.   Cheers

Posted Images

I’ve been to a local dealer today’s and had a look at some used stock. 

There was a Rapid Mk1 that actually took my eye and felt quite nice. 

Had quick fill adapter, was about 32ftlb, decent mod n scope etc. He did mention that there was a mk2 but didn’t really tell me difference if any apart from newer model. Anybody had experience with both and know main differences, pros n cons etc?

Mk 1 doesn't normally have a scalloped block for single shot loading, mk2 I believe did.

dont worry about it been a mk1, very good guns, and everything on a rapid can be fettled, changed and made better if needed, one of the easiest guns to work on.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Rabid said:

Just make sure it's not been home bodged, because they are so easy to work on, and had a reputation as good fac guns, a lot ended up in the wrong hands and were mauled by gorillas.

And what should someone asking advice be looking for? 

How can you tell if it's been home bodged? 

And wouldn't the MK2 be regulated? 

Did some other flavours come in standard blocks? I.e. MFR's not in MFR blocks. 

Just asking??

Just be aware also, that if you go down the route of turning your current rifle up, it will always be an fac rifle, even if it is turned back down to sub 12, it will still need an fac to posses it, it will also be worth barely half of its current value, that is why fac rated rifles are generally worth much less than their sub 12 counterparts, I would get a fac rifle and keep your current one standard, however although it is unlikely you will be granted an open ticket first off, as you add land and gain experience you can ask for the restrictive condition to be lifted, enabling you to use the fac rifle on any land you have authority to shoot over, always providing it is safe to do so of course. 

Your opening a can of worms.

As I'm sure you know, there are so many variants of the rapid, the mfr was based on the mk2 block so should be scalloped.

yes, from factory the mk1 was not regulated, but as the other post, most rapids have been owned by an enthusiast at some point, so chances are it will have been regged, or possibly fast flowed, the main issue is, almost all the bits on Rapids can be swapped around, the chances are it will be a hybrid gun whatever you buy, everyone has different ideas what's good and worth upgrading and what to leave standard, you may get very lucky and find a factory standard one, you may not, I'm not saying all the rapids have been mauled, I have had some in exceptional condition but as far from standard as it gets, some owners only improve them, some are, well lets just say 'less sympathetic'.

absolutely nowt wrong with the mk1, standard or tweaked, so long as any 'tweaking' has been done well.

look at general things like overall condition, bolt and screw heads intact and not chewed up, the fit, Rapids were well made guns and everything should fit nicely, cocking, do you need arms like Geoff capes to cock it, if so it's maybe had a huge hammer spring chucked in it to gain the power, neither an economical or balanced way to do it. Does it cycle well through the full mag, is it consistent, get it over a chrono, is it accurate, all the sorts of things we should check on all purchases.

A plus side, no matter what rapid you buy,  no matter what state it's in, as it's so easy to work on and things are interchangeable, you can put most everything right again if needed, will cost money, but can be done.

One thing regarding regged FAC versions, as far as I know, few of the Mk2 FAC rifles are regged. I am the first to admit that I know very little about Rapid guns but when I bought mine, I did a bit of research and found the above info. Again, I was advised that I could have mine regged if I wanted but have not found the need to do so.

I was going to take mine to a guru named on the Rapid 7 forum but he became very ill and was not taking on any work and as the old saying goes 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it' came to mind so I did not bother looking for anyone else to check it out for me.

Really good rifles.

Phil

• Like 1

I think its about time i got a rapid and see what all the fuss is about

I know where there is a stunner for sale now but its in a lefty stock and sub 12

mk1 with one of the best mk1 stocks iv seen

i dont like the look of them at all but there a tool to have and one of the best so i may just have a word with my mate Viz

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

17 hours ago, Rabid said:

Mk 1 doesn't normally have a scalloped block for single shot loading, mk2 I believe did.

dont worry about it been a mk1, very good guns, and everything on a rapid can be fettled, changed and made better if needed, one of the easiest guns to work on.

They made some mk1 with scalloped blocks after 2007 

Edited by pav
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Rabid said:

Your opening a can of worms.

As I'm sure you know, there are so many variants of the rapid, the mfr was based on the mk2 block so should be scalloped.

yes, from factory the mk1 was not regulated, but as the other post, most rapids have been owned by an enthusiast at some point, so chances are it will have been regged, or possibly fast flowed, the main issue is, almost all the bits on Rapids can be swapped around, the chances are it will be a hybrid gun whatever you buy, everyone has different ideas what's good and worth upgrading and what to leave standard, you may get very lucky and find a factory standard one, you may not, I'm not saying all the rapids have been mauled, I have had some in exceptional condition but as far from standard as it gets, some owners only improve them, some are, well lets just say 'less sympathetic'.

absolutely nowt wrong with the mk1, standard or tweaked, so long as any 'tweaking' has been done well.

look at general things like overall condition, bolt and screw heads intact and not chewed up, the fit, Rapids were well made guns and everything should fit nicely, cocking, do you need arms like Geoff capes to cock it, if so it's maybe had a huge hammer spring chucked in it to gain the power, neither an economical or balanced way to do it. Does it cycle well through the full mag, is it consistent, get it over a chrono, is it accurate, all the sorts of things we should check on all purchases.

A plus side, no matter what rapid you buy,  no matter what state it's in, as it's so easy to work on and things are interchangeable, you can put most everything right again if needed, will cost money, but can be done.

Some mk2s don't have scalloped blocks

Edited by pav