Just a quick question,had a big argument with a cocky young know it all gamekeeper wanna be.he tried to tell me leaving a shotgun in a vehicle,boot,sleeved and immobilizer on is illegal.?they take thier guns into the pub and leave them in the inglenook while eating etc.i reckon youd be in more trouble if your gun got stole out of a pub.?

Remember the fella on here lost his fac and sgc for leaving a magazine in his coat pocket locked in his car.......

something rings in my head they expect you to take vital components away from the rest of I, i.e. You can leave barrels and stock or fore end and barrels etc etc.

in all the pubs our shoots go in, most of them also take the guns in with them, sleeved obviously.

The act of leaving a shotgun in a vehicle is not illegal at all, either whole or in pieces. 

You are expected to take all reasonable precautions.  So the situation and interpretation are rather important!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Deadeye18 said:

Its not illegal but i think folk are playing with fire, Safer not to go to the boozer,Taker your guns home first then go for a few jars and no worries. 

Yeah but no but, then the Mrs will want to come!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Deadeye18 said:

Its not illegal but i think folk are playing with fire, Safer not to go to the boozer,Taker your guns home first then go for a few jars and no worries. 

And you live 20+ miles away?.  Ok if you live ten minutes down the road. I just take the piece in the pub discreetly.  Ps I'd love for the Mrs to join me. She wouldn't though. She'd just say that she would be bored out of her skull listening to the shooting stories.

Edited by Meece

If my guns ain't with me they're in a cabinet. I got the one in the house, one bolted in the Transit and one bolted to the bed of my Hilux. The bolts that got through the cabinet and bed are drilled so when the nut is fitted  i can put an 'R'clip through the bolt. You can leave a gun any where but if it gets nicked you're f****d!!!.

On 1/10/2018 at 22:44, Qbgrey said:

Just a quick question,had a big argument with a cocky young know it all gamekeeper wanna be.he tried to tell me leaving a shotgun in a vehicle,boot,sleeved and immobilizer on is illegal.?they take thier guns into the pub and leave them in the inglenook while eating etc.i reckon youd be in more trouble if your gun got stole out of a pub.?

I'd actually call that playing with fire (pun not intended).

For one I'm pretty sure it's illegal to be in possession of a firearm if intoxicated. Although that can be easily mitigated by limiting your intake, it is more blatant and more likely to lead to a challenge if you have a beer in one hand and a (sleeved) gun in the other. In the car, no-one knows you possess one. Secondly, the whole leaving them in the inglenook part gives me shivers. What part of someone thinks that leaving guns in a fireplace unsecured is more secure than leaving them out of sight locked in a secure vehicle boot? Anyone could walk past and simply pick one up and walk out whilst the owner is distracted. Be far more likely to lose your licence for that - propping a gun up out in the open in a public space such as a pub, than a theft from a locked vehicle where the gun was out of sight. As for precautions, it's open to interpretation as Dekers says, but a good start might be to fit a trigger lock. Other common measures include hiding the breach and barrels in different places and using a cable lock (bicycle style lock) to lock either the action or barrels to part of the vehicle bodywork ie an exposed steel internal strut. Other precautions might include a vehicle safe if you take them out a lot or want to ensure ultimate security. However, I'm sure in most cases some of the former will suffice. Trigger locks are dirt cheap anyway so should always be a consideration for any gun.

Edited by Alsone

I don't know where the myth comes from that says if a gun gets stolen "you're f****d". It simply isn't true.

Every theft is taken on it's own merit and if you have taken reasonable precautions to prevent theft you have done your part.

I know of several people having guns stolen and none lost their licence. One man had a shotgun stolen from his house that he had put in a cupboard while he nipped out somewhere. On his return he found he had been burgled and the gun stolen. He didn't lose his certificate because the house was all locked up and that was deemed reasonable precautions had been applied.

So take every reasonable precaution you can  to prevent theft as none of us want to lose our property to scrotes, but if you are unlucky don't think a certificate revocation is inevitable, it isn't.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2018 at 20:21, PLEDGEY said:

If my guns ain't with me they're in a cabinet. I got the one in the house, one bolted in the Transit and one bolted to the bed of my Hilux. The bolts that got through the cabinet and bed are drilled so when the nut is fitted  i can put an 'R'clip through the bolt. You can leave a gun any where but if it gets nicked you're f****d!!!.

One of the boys of the shoot had his shotgun nicked from a locked  landrover while in the pub , he never lost his ticket . 

Somerset police seem desperately anti gun , STALKER lost his ticket after leaving a few rounds of ammo in his truck which subsequently got broken into and the ammo nicked along with all his kit ( no guns ) ..that was after having a fac for forty years ..

• Like 1
On 17/01/2018 at 15:22, Alsone said:

I'd actually call that playing with fire (pun not intended).

For one I'm pretty sure it's illegal to be in possession of a firearm if intoxicated. Although that can be easily mitigated by limiting your intake, it is more blatant and more likely to lead to a challenge if you have a beer in one hand and a (sleeved) gun in the other. In the car, no-one knows you possess one. Secondly, the whole leaving them in the inglenook part gives me shivers. What part of someone thinks that leaving guns in a fireplace unsecured is more secure than leaving them out of sight locked in a secure vehicle boot? Anyone could walk past and simply pick one up and walk out whilst the owner is distracted. Be far more likely to lose your licence for that - propping a gun up out in the open in a public space such as a pub, than a theft from a locked vehicle where the gun was out of sight. As for precautions, it's open to interpretation as Dekers says, but a good start might be to fit a trigger lock. Other common measures include hiding the breach and barrels in different places and using a cable lock (bicycle style lock) to lock either the action or barrels to part of the vehicle bodywork ie an exposed steel internal strut. Other precautions might include a vehicle safe if you take them out a lot or want to ensure ultimate security. However, I'm sure in most cases some of the former will suffice. Trigger locks are dirt cheap anyway so should always be a consideration for any gun.

Well, I would quite like to see someone walk out my local after lifting a gun on shoot day, the place is wall to wall with guns, beaters, picker uppers, keepers, farmers,  everyone is involved in the shoot, it's a proper local pub, everyone knows everyone, I would say 40 or 50 pairs of eyes is pretty secure, wouldn't you, were not talking about a town centre pub with strangers everywhere, at least not on any of the shoots I have been involved with.