Harris hawk

Bit of a random post but I was going out to a job this morning it was in the arse end of nowhere  in Leicestershire  9 miles of single track and road and something caught my eye sat on a post a bloody Harris hawk it looked in real good condition there was no leader or anything on it it looked quite comfortable with its freedom I watched it for a couple of minutes before it flew of ..i was wondering if it don't upset any gamekeepers  will it survive ? 

3 minutes ago, kanny said:

Bit of a random post but I was going out to a job this morning it was in the arse end of nowhere  in Leicestershire  9 miles of single track and road and something caught my eye sat on a post a bloody Harris hawk it looked in real good condition there was no leader or anything on it it looked quite comfortable with its freedom I watched it for a couple of minutes before it flew of ..i was wondering if it don't upset any gamekeepers  will it survive ? 

Harris hawks have been recorded as breeding in the UK mate,a mate who keeps them told me,theres something online about it somewhere.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, mackem said:

Harris hawks have been recorded as breeding in the UK mate,a mate who keeps them told me,theres something online about it somewhere.

Cheers it was a good size so probably a female not something you see everyday flying free in the uk countryside  ...made my day 

6 minutes ago, kanny said:

Don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say nice one, that's a pretty wicked thing to see, things like that can really make a shit day worth it for me ?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say nice one, that's a pretty wicked thing to see, things like that can really make a shit day worth it for me ?

It made a dirty Rainey day a little brighter :thumbs:

Most wildlife seems to work in cycles, for some reason the number seven is quite strong as in every seven years certain species seem to peak and trough, and at the moment it seems the raptors time to shine, I saw my first ever goshawk in the wild last year and my first second third and so on red kite, also have at least half a dozen perigrine nesting sites within a ten mile radius of my home and there seems to be a buzzard on every other lamppost, a good population of top preditors is a good sign of a healthy environment so if there,s a niche for an extra bird of prey hopefully it's a sign things are good ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

A couple of years ago i was exercising a young lurcher i had at the time in some local wood's near me in leeds.Something caught my eye and the same thing massive female harris hawk perched there 10ft up a tree,just sat there staring at me!!!..didnt batter an eyelid.

5abe11f52b728_BlackheartsDogs168.thumb.jpg.16190063ca6b1d46958ded61f5b2b38b.jpgCaught a female Harris few yrs back, she was attacking chickens in an allotment, no one came to claim her so my uncle started to man her, she became a good bird but a little funny with strangers dogs. I believe he still has her as we not spoke for a few yrs. Few yrs ago there were lots of lads around here with em..... A new fad didn't last long.... Passed plenty sitting in a tree refusing to go to the glove?shame  because anyone can just go and source one for £100. Had some good days out over the yrs with em. 

• Like 4
On 10/01/2018 at 19:34, kanny said:

Ffs shoe it away from me, towards f***ing Warwickshire! :laugh:

Seeing them in action when I used to ferret for members of the S.Yorks falconry club Harris Hawks breeding in the wild in this country will be devastating to some indegenouse species like tawny owls and with out doubt would be a nightmare for gamekeepers.

• Thanks 1

I would have thought it was a little different flying a hungry bird at multiple bolted rabbits to a naturalised preditor hunting for food the impact would be minimal unless numbers got out of hand ? and just before I go away for a few days I saw my first red kite  flying over my house in Bristol this week ,( not my first kite, but first one here,) got a bit excited while all the other blokes on site looked at me like a twat, but it will stick in my head like the first peregrine I saw many moons back, now have at least 6 nesting pairs near me that I know of and I am not looking seriously, good times for the raptors ?

years ago i paid 1200 for my first harris hawk how times have changed,they loss them now they go out and buy another one,i breed most birds of prey and my birds just dont go to any one

• Like 6