Arcade shooting gallery information please

Moderators, move this if it is in the wrong place please, I tried my best to place it right.

Back over here in Australia we used to have 'shooting galleries' at arcades or sideshows, these were very entertaining and maybe one of the things that got me into shooting sports. Locally in Adelaide through my teenage years there was a standout that I visited regularly. It was lost when the local council demolished the public used arcade zone to build apartments with developers (and lost a lot of money to those same developers :rofl:)

Anyway I have started upon a bit of an adventure to build a replica, but that has led me to look into the construction, design and mechanisms of 'galleries' from all over the world.

So far I have never found anything from the UK, I am asking for some help to gather 'webpage links' and images of shooting galleries from the UK, both historical and current if any, I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Please, only galleries that use .22 or airgun ammo.                An example below.

gallery1.jpeg.80b9bf395fcdea80363e2cda20f16e76.jpeggallery2.jpeg.68118b7c39daa3f764d82b9724778f65.jpeggallery3.jpeg.694ff54c5921b0193f8567bee01dff30.jpeg

Ratbuster that is so cool.

Doesnt appear to be deep to targets but it is good to see .22's in use, Browning semi, Savage bolt, Henry lever, Anshutz ? single shot.

Colt AR15 or M16 copy in .22 ? Pump Shotgun seems out of place.

" COW-BOY CITY "  what a great name for a shooting arcade, :toast:

Thank you.

• Like 1

The interesting thing is to look at history and finding that in Adelaide we used to have many shooting galleries and ranges in the center of the city, mostly in Banks and larger businesses, and then some in public use as retail business.

There probably are remnants of these ranges in Bank buildings basements, but pretty much no chance of looking for them even though they are documented in newspapers of the time, as competitions were even held there. Used in lunch breaks and after work hours, firearms and ammo provided too.

The public ones were around for many years and generated a good income for the owners at the time, probably most sold out to have the building knocked down. That was during the late 1800's thru to mid 1900's, as they came and went.

The current Firearms Act doesnt allow for anything more than Air Powered pellet guns, and all about containment (which is practical), but there are also shooting ranges as commercial business providing training and also use any caliber that they are approved for, one is using computer projected  targets for more entertainment during a shoot. The biggest thing in Australia is that private / personal users can not use targets that are or like people or silhouettes of people, realistically that didnt make much difference (the thought was it stopped potential training on life like targets :hmm:)

Any how below is some of the research I have dug up, and more like the one that disappeared from my local beach arcade area.

Small version of a Gallery used with .22 gallery guns of the day.

A more modern version, about the size of what I would like to build.

There are few views of the mechanics involved.

Finally a connection to my beach side haunt, it has a picture of the Arcades well in the background, but the website has lots of historical info also of Adelaide

http://www.adelaiderememberwhen.com.au/glenelg-the-beach-from-our-youth/

Edited by 17hornet
On 1/22/2018 at 22:24, butcherboy said:

Remember when the "shows" came to town and they had the air-rifle shooting stalls. Took about 5 go's before you worked out the rifle was shooting about 3 foot to the right..........................and that was only over 10 yards :cray::laugh:

:rofl: Three foot to the right, at 10 yards !

LOL, we had about 1 foot to the left at 10 feet !

When choosing my airgun I would break it for loading and bore sight the thing comparing the open sights - never helped much :huh:

• Like 1