Foxes with HMR

I got a call on Monday from a school with a fox problem.  This was the result from my visit yesterday.

Taken with Hornady 17g V-Max between 50-110 yards.  The HMR was used because it was the most appropriate for the job.

I seem to deal with a few at schools, but it's usually one or two or a family, not often I take 6 in about 2.5hours. 

073e.thumb.jpg.dfcf4d924885c704cd75025d6d0ebd15.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 10

Good going Deker a problem dealt with extremely efficiently the school won't have to much to worry about concerning children's health after that result, I would have imagined that lot were leaving a lot of presents all over the place.

.17 a no nonsense calibre at those distances ?  

22 hours ago, Underdog said:

Properly applied.....

That's a big lamp on top!

U.

It's the old Deben Max, I have the Mini as well, numerous lamps (torches) and NV but for some reason decided to give this an outing, not used it for a while.  It does have the dimmer which I find useful.   Have I missed it somewhere (probably), do any of the modern torches actually have a variable dimmer rather than simply different light settings which you have to scan through!

To be honest I'd forgotten how Yellow the beam appears compared to the modern cool white of the torches though!

Edited by Deker
4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I like amber colour for fox but only have a couple of red ledray types. No dimmers on them.

U.

I've tried all the colour filters over the years and to be honest the "white" seems to work fine, I find the dimmer option very useful just the same 

I was a long time advocate of Red, but lost the filter on one site years back and used the white again, it appeared to make no difference, so never bothered getting another red!

5 hours ago, Deker said:

I've tried all the colour filters over the years and to be honest the "white" seems to work fine, I find the dimmer option very useful just the same 

I was a long time advocate of Red, but lost the filter on one site years back and used the white again, it appeared to make no difference, so never bothered getting another red!

Yes your right, it's just that if they are educated to some degree a change of colour can give one a few seconds!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, zx10mike said:

i normally cringe when i gear hmr for fox because it can go tits up.nice to read a good post with one bieng used in the right hands.

Why do you cringe? It can go tits up with any calibre if shooter cannot shoot 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, delswal said:

Why do you cringe? It can go tits up with any calibre if shooter cannot shoot 

i have seen a guy once hit a fox centre mass with a hmr and it took 6 in total before it was finished. it was an invite out and in my opinion a heavier bullet with more energy would have stopped it the first time. the light bullet drifted in wind and hit the front leg ,the expansion caused massive injury but not to vital organs.a hevier round in this case would not have drifted as much and punched through better.like i say a hmr is ok in the right hands.

8 hours ago, zx10mike said:

i have seen a guy once hit a fox centre mass with a hmr and it took 6 in total before it was finished. it was an invite out and in my opinion a heavier bullet with more energy would have stopped it the first time. the light bullet drifted in wind and hit the front leg ,the expansion caused massive injury but not to vital organs.a hevier round in this case would not have drifted as much and punched through better.like i say a hmr is ok in the right hands.

6 rds from an HMR to finish a fox? What range was he shooting at? I've seen a .22 rimfire drop them on the spot with a centre mass shot, albeit from the right range. 

Anybody hitting a fox 6 times with a Hmr to finish it off should not be allowed to shoot. I've owned an Hmr in the past and taken fox easily @ 100yds with chest shots and dropped them on the spot, if it ever took 6 rds I would have wrapped the rifle around the nearest tree. ATB ......Del 

• Like 1

6 rounds to stop a fox, dunno about wrap it round a tree, he needs it shoving up his arse.

I can only see a few reasons that could be.

pushing ranges too far.

was shooting on the fly, moving target

Problem with gun/scope or ammo

couldnt shoot.

ive seen foxes dropped with hmr and .22lr, foxes go down very easy normally, if your set up is right, you can shoot, and are not pushing limits of range, both the .22 and the hmr are perfectly adequate for dropping foxes cleanly and efficiently.

8 hours ago, Rabid said:

6 rounds to stop a fox, dunno about wrap it round a tree, he needs it shoving up his arse.

I can only see a few reasons that could be.

pushing ranges too far.

was shooting on the fly, moving target

Problem with gun/scope or ammo

couldnt shoot.

ive seen foxes dropped with hmr and .22lr, foxes go down very easy normally, if your set up is right, you can shoot, and are not pushing limits of range, both the .22 and the hmr are perfectly adequate for dropping foxes cleanly and efficiently.

Before inserting any firearm in an anus make sure the gun is completely unloaded!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1