Gutted

Guest vin

Bolting fist size kits yesterday and nearly half of the rabbits are ready to drop, its was early last year but this year its ridiculous. No real season at all, its been so mild only had about four frosts and only one of them got the ground hard no snow just a raw wind for a few days loads of rain and wind. As jay jay says "seasons are all to hell" could not agree more.

Cheers Arry

This is not the end of the world,.. and nothing to worry about...

I remember my Father gutting out the rabbits and showing me the marbles in the does, back in the late 1950s.

Personally,... I believe that many of these first litters of rabbits, do not make it,..the climatic conditions, at this time of the year, are just so harsh. 

We have often paunched out batches of shushis and found perfectly formed babes within,...as to whether they would have made it, who knows..:hmm:

Some litters survive, obviously, but I've never curtailed my hunting, whether it be paid or recreational because of a few embryonic bunnies. 

What does sometimes put me off,..is constantly catching the big fat, swollen teated milky does,...

I know then that somewhere nearby, a batch of babes is slowly starving to death.:yes:

5a560a2a03467_neg16photo4-Checkingthecatch.jpg.a7f2b5ed081aa10831babd03854987a1.jpg

• Like 6

We've been pulling out pregnant does since before Xmas. One on new years eve looked like she may have already dropped kits because she only had 3 inside and was milky - the ferret was also cocking about with her before it killed her in the pipe so I'm assuming she was trying to  fight it off the youngsters

Ithink the have gone down very early this year, i am on a Forum where a couple of lads ferret a lot of Rabbits and their pictures show that they are catching a few half grown ones so they must thrive when they are born early. When conditions are not right for Birthing  a doe rabbit will slow down pregnancy and if things get really bad they will reobsorb the young.

ferreting season over unfortunately, was out doing some large burrows that held loads of bunnys. they had the set of mind to not bolt no matter what! after much head scratching and a dig to reveal a nest of young ones, I boxed up the ferrets and headed home.