Rabbit population

Does anyone know why rabbit populations die off.

For a number of years here there was a strong population of rabbits in my aera and they seemed to have died off quite quickly.  It's not because of over hunting because no one here hunts them but my self and there was no mixy. Plus there is plenty of food and cover for them to survive easily. 

Would be interesting to hear if this happened to other people areas. 

Atb j 

the rabbit numbers seem to be down from previous years in quite a few areas through out the country and apparently taking a hammering from a new disease, RVHD2, whether this is right or not I couldn't tell you, mixy was bad enough, but now this as well........ but they do have a lot to contend with and being high on the prey list doesn't help them.......

be a shame to see the rabbit wiped out, so hopefully with time, they will get a strong hold over it and still soldier on.......

all the best

jay.

Hi Jay.

Would this rvhd2 have to be let into the local population or is it natural .

Last spring and early summer you could see small bundles of young rabbits nesting on the road verges there was that many of them.

It would be a shame if they died off. It would be the end for a lot of lads who just do a bit of rabbiting. 

Atb j 

Sounds like a virus.I've just moved to an area that was overrun by rabbits 5years ago now none about for 50 km radius.Looks like sometimes the rabbit doesn't bounce back.Hope its not the same for you.Hunting can be bad also,I accidently wiped out an isolated population on a property doing pest control,no rabbits seen there for three years.

This place was well populated and then nothing. Over hunting wasn't the issue or hunger. Was thinking of getting back into ferrets again but I might hold off. The poor whippet wouldn't know what a rabbit looks like now lol. 

Hopefully they will bounce back and hold strong. You would miss them around the place.  Even just to look at and appreciate them.

Atb j 

Poor old rabbit really up against it at this moment in time.

Myxi , vhd which was wicked killing all the adult rabbits.

Vhd2 now that shows no discrimination between young and old and kills the lot.

Booming badger population digging up the young, hawks buzzards kites all being reintroduced.

Don't look good for poor old cottontail 

While disease and increased predator numbers will play a factor, I believe the wet conditions we have had (above normal) for the last 3 winters is also a big cause. 

On one of my permissions, the bottom half of visible holes in ditch banks were underwater, this probably equates to half the warren being wet or flooded and not ideal for breeding or rearing young. 

A lot of bucks I was catching or shooting looked like they had myxi - bulbous, lumpy heads, missing fur but their ears were also all torn up / partially missing. When they were gutted, no tell tale liver spotting either. Were they simply fighting each other to defend their space / try and take another's? 

While the last 2 winters haven't been quite as wet, they have still been wetter than previous years. 

Edited by Jax13
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Chaff said:

Poor old rabbit really up against it at this moment in time.

Myxi , vhd which was wicked killing all the adult rabbits.

Vhd2 now that shows no discrimination between young and old and kills the lot.

Booming badger population digging up the young, hawks buzzards kites all being reintroduced.

Don't look good for poor old cottontail 

Exactly what I was going to say, and also we seem to have a very high fox population these last couple of yrs.

i have caught/shot rabbits showing signs of recovering from mixy

Fox and badger wouldn't explain the total wipe out here. Very small badger popualtion here.It must be that vhd or something similar. Most of the warrens here are on Beach's. clean and ideal breeding grounds with plenty of food for them. There's no brids of prey here either. Maybe the odd sparrow hawk. 

Did notice a large amount of mink in the last two years. They would have a serious impact  on them.

Atb j

People will have to if they want them to return in good numbers.

How many who just hunt rabbits and nothing else will have to give up the game if they don't return. 

Some have many many years put into their sport and pest control. 

A sad ending.

Atb j

In recent times I have seen a huge increase in populations that have been scarce in those areas for years, I was talking to a mate today who said 3 months ago he had huge numbers and now about half the amount with no mixo in the area yet, another farmer I have permission on his place let go the latest strain of RHD and had virtually no effect according to him and from what I can see his numbers are increasing dramatically, they also bait and plough, and still can’t control them.

My opinion is if you are in an area where they can breed and bounce back they will, it appears as the years go on, their resilience to RHD and its variants becomes stronger and more widespread.

Take heart guy’s a few years from now they will bounce back as long as no new diseases are introduced and they get the opportunity to repopulate they are after all prolific breeders, and a very resilient animal.  

• Like 1