1st time out this year

Last night we took the 1st chance out since before Christmas. Temperature and wind was not inviting but the withdrawal symptoms were too strong.

We took to the woods to get out of the worst of it but was still brutal. In no time my fingers were numb but I had a new scope to zero and 17 hornet rounds to test which told me I'm really glad I got rid of the old scope. Very good results despite the wind. Very happy.

In the meantime my buddy went to work with his 17 hornet and thermal and did the business as usual. It was unreal the way they kept coming out despite all the shooting that was going on. Even the dog fox had made his way round until he scented us but didn't run. I guess the smell of the dead rabbits clouded his judgement enough to put him to sleep.

We didn't linger too long. Happy to get the heater on in the motor.

Jan 2018 002.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

Nonsense, your just looking for an excuse, it's really because I am a trend setter :)

OK, Ya got me!

But that's as far as I go. I ain't buying no rifle what needs half a can of old nails shoving down the front end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's all a question of perspective. If the object is just to kill stuff they're very efficient and I imagine they're built to survive any shock. I just can't see U with one of em on top of a blunderbuss.

For me, my tubed Starlight Archer using IR gives me an almost daylight image of a size where I can be sure of shot placement. Not everyones creed but that how I like it. The thing about IR N/V is that it won't penetrate foliage so a rabbit that's hiding at least has a chance. Not so with thermal.

When I looked through my buddies thermal I was quite disappointed. A wishy washy image with nowhere near the magnification that I'm used to. Of course it did a brilliant job of showing quarry and everything that isn't quarry as well. He does very well with it but sometimes his shot placement is a little off. I'm wondering how good they are at seeing stuff in front of the quarry that could deflect the bullet.

• Like 1

Probably not too clear ,my Pulsar lets me see the animal but not the thing it hides behind and then bullet deflection will inevitably occur.But as u say cant see Nath chucking a thermal on top of "old Bessie" any time soon:thumbs:

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Underdog said:

The only thermals I will be using are long John's and you won't want to see through them or you will get a fright!

U:p

I bet you wouldnt be able to see through them anyway with the leakage from your undercrackers!!

Youngratter. 

• Haha 1